Thread: Small Box Hardware Help

Small Box Hardware Help

Blizzard rolled through town last week so I decided to occupy myself by building a small box out of scraps. My main point was to practice dovetail joinery, but it's turned out nice enough that I'd like to finish it up. Plan is to use it as a humidor, still have many coats of varnish to go. Anyway, I'm struggling with the hardware to use. It's my first project this small so I have zero experience. Box dimensions are roughly 12" wide X 10" deep X 7" tall. The lid is 1 1/4" tall, but the inset from the inside is only about 1/2" The walls are pretty thin, only 5/16", so morticing something into the'm is probably out of the question. I can't seem to find an appropriate hinge that looks "elegant" and will hold the lid open and haven't found anything in terms of a "clasp" for the front to hold it closed (maybe I don't even need one?). If any of you guys familiar with small box hardware options have any thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't help you with the hardware, but I don't think I'd use it as a humidor since it appears you have put finish on the inside.

you could always line it with untreated spanish cedar ...

Shows how little I know about humidors. I don't even smoke. I might go the route of lining it though, as I can't think of any other use. I had planned on building dividers out of cedar, but didn't realize finishing inside was wrong. Will the finish taint the cigar?

I am not sure but it looks like the edge is to narrow for a 95 degree hinge. You could go with 2 hinges mounted in mortise on the back and make a stop for the lid. It would not take to much hinge to handle it I would think.
    A pair of these would handle it and just put a stop on the back of the box to hold the lid or you could go with chain to hold the lid.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5780