Thread: Why do we do it!

Why do we do it!

An innocent trip to a local Antique Mall to kill time turned up a completely rusty, grimy, but completely intact Bailey #4, with the mandatory broken rosewood tote. I'm guessing about a type 11 or 12. At $10 the money was no object, but like I need another hand tool taking up space and a time-consuming rehab! It's a total additiction!~

Why do we do it?

Some questions are best left unanswered.

Because WD-40 smells good?

flea market finds yesterday myself a Bailey 22 and a Millers Falls 14 both in real good condition .. Is a problem I spose ..

Addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    Addiction.
    Amen. Thats the only explanation as to why I buy every English tanged firmer chisel I can get my hands on. Especially Butcher. And Ash. Speaking of which, anyone have any chisels they'd like to sell?

/Addicted
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    For $10 I might have done the same thing. Clean it up, tune it up and set it aside after using it awhile.
    It would sit with my other "rainy day" tools. Then when something comes along those are the tools that go up for sale so I can buy another more expensive toy, err tool.

A type 11 will have the small blade adjuster (1") and the type 12 will have a large blade adjuster (1-1/4").

Some type 11s will have a tall knob. To my knowledge the only way a type 12 will have a low knob is if someone replaces it.

Some folks will pay more for a type 12 because it is from the SW era.

Some folks like type 11 because of all 3 patent dates, the frog adjustment and a low knob.

For $10 you have one genuine gloat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

James, I feel your pain/pleasure.
    My addiction has left me spending as much time refubishing tools (primarily drills of all kinds) as woodworking.

But I can buy the Bailey #4 for $10, spend a couple of hours cleaning and tuning, and it will be worth $40... if I ever sell it instead of setting it on a shelf next to my other Bailey #4's. Eventually my kids can sell it back to the Antique shop for $10. Wash, rinse, repeat as needed.
    Last edited by Randy Reitz; 02-07-2011 at 6:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Why do we do it?

Some questions are best left unanswered unasked.
    Fixed that for ya!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Just removed the gem (in the eyes of beholder) from it's phosphate bath. After initial cleaning, I'm not sure what I've got.

If it is a Stanley, it's a pre-Type 10.

The only stamping I've found thus far is the AP'L 19 92 (or whatever that is) on the iron. No visible patents or anything in the bed (though it hasn't been cleaned completely yet).

The patent would ID it as a 6-9, but the frog receiver is flat, which I don't think jives with any of those.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    Just removed the gem (in the eyes of beholder) from it's phosphate bath. After initial cleaning, I'm not sure what I've got.

If it is a Stanley, it's a pre-Type 10.

The only stamping I've found thus far is the AP'L 19 92 (or whatever that is) on the iron. No visible patents or anything in the bed (though it hasn't been cleaned completely yet).

The patent would ID it as a 6-9, but the frog receiver is flat, which I don't think jives with any of those.
    Are you sure it is a Stanley/Bailey plane?

Is there a lateral lever and is anything stamped on that?

If it is a type 6 or earlier Stanley, it will have patent dates stamped inside the brass blade depth adjuster.

This is why pictures are so helpful. One look at the lateral lever and many people can tell if it is a Stanley or not. The Stanley design was the distinctive "boat tiller" or "shark fin" design. A pre type 9 will usually have patent dates on the lateral adjuster.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)