Thread: 10 X 21 shop design?

Unhappy 10 X 21 shop design?

I have a new home in Colorado with a 10 X 21 foot garage space I'd like to put a shop in. Anyone have some floor plan ideas for a narrow space like this. Will have the usual floor tools TS w/extension, BS, Jointer, Drill press, bench, router cabinet. I realize a narrow space like this is full of limitations but I have to work with what I have.

"Mobility" is the key--make a tool corral in one corner to stuff anything that is not in use. Check out the Idea Shop #5 at WOOD Online for some nice ideas. There are few other shops in that area that also may have some things to look at. Norm's NYW garage shop is also intended for a one-car garage setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What Jim said, also log onto Grizzly's website. They have a free shop layout program.

Jerry,

FWW #160 has a nice little article on a one car garage shop.......9x18. Maybe give you a few ideas......

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    What Jim said, also log onto Grizzly's website. They have a free shop layout program.
    Joe - I just logged onto the Grizzley site and that free planner turned out to be a bait and switch for selling me something called MicroMedia - unless I clicked on trhe wrong button

It's 6 AM and I haven't had any coffee yet

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Jerry,

FWW #160 has a nice little article on a one car garage shop.......9x18. Maybe give you a few ideas......
    I think that this is a particularly well designed small shop. You don't need to purchase the referenced issue. Both the artilce and a vidoe can be found at:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...pw013_home.asp

And the really good thing for you is that you can strat thinking not about how you are going to sqeeze things into a small space but, rather waht you are going to do with the extra foot of width and extra yard of length.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-16-2005 at 9:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I think that this is a particularly well designed small shop. You don't need to purchase the referenced issue. Both the artilce and a vidoe can be found at:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...pw013_home.asp

And the really good thing for you is that you can strat thinking not about how you are going to sqeeze things into a small space but, rather waht you are going to do with the extra foot of width and extra yard of length.
    YEAH! Frank - Good article. I was looking for an exchange of this book with someone here for a couple of months while I did some design on my own place. Maybe I'll drop in at Borders and sit for a while. Thanks

Go here & get the free download .

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/software.shtml

Download the below program.

Easyshop Shop Designer: 833 kb

I have used it for at least 3 or more years & it works great. You can click on the bullet next to my name at the top of this post & go to my web site & see what my floor plan looks like on the first page of my web site.

My web side has pop ups, it is the price I pay for a free web site.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Thanks guy's - all I needed was a jump start and you geve me that. I can now see my space with a different view.

Jerry, I also have a small basement woodshop. Only 14' x 24'. But I do have a 9' ceiling and that helps. I have three sides paneled with pegboard. The fourth side is devoted to shelves which hold my small power tools. All things I cannot move are along the three sides. Wood storage hangs from the ceiling rafters.
    Larger tools (planer, router, ets) are on mobile bases. Assembly table is KD.
    Below are some pictures of my work area. I do not build large furniture pieces which would take a lot of room.

Alfred Hoffmann
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?