Thread: Acrylic - Where To Buy

Acrylic - Where To Buy

Looking for rather small(approx 12x12) piece of 1/2" acrylic to use for router base for doing router bowls.

Local box stores don't have any thing that thick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

Plastics in the yellow pages, probably several distributors in your area.

You can use Corian if you have that, its acrylic.

Jim,

Probably more $$$ than a plastics house, but McMaster Carr has just what you are looking for, and they deliver fast.

Pete

Actually what I think you are looking for is polycarbonate it is much stronger/ shatter resistant etc. than acrylic is. At 1/2" thick it may be a mute point, however, I always use polycarbonate vs. acrylic. It machines easier also. Ditto to the yellow pages - give the local guys a call and ask them if they have any "drops" (leftovers from jobs)
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Blog Entries
    I'll second the advice for corian... you can get chunks for free at local countertop manufacturers, and it's a perfect surface for router tables.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

TAP Plastics is a major player here in the west and they ship. I have always found the people friendly even when I call just to ask a general "which plastic is best for ____ project."

I would go no thicker than 3/8" for your application. 1/2" polycarbonate is pretty heavy. If you are forced to mail order, might as well check out Ebay. I get a lot of my prototyping acrylics and polycarbonate there- dealers and fabricators often have Ebay stores where they sell cutoffs. item 33579aada6. Here one listing for four 1/2" X 12" X12" sheets item 56331a0762Here is one for a single 3/8" X 12" X 12" sheet. I have used NORVA Plastics before- good service. They don't seem to have an Ebay store any more, however.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 02-07-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: removed links to eBay listings