Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How 'bout dem Packers!

Are you saying the Super Bowl was over sold? How can that happen? I could see if people were buying fake tickets but how in sake of honest business practices can an event be over sold?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Are you saying the Super Bowl was over sold? How can that happen? I could see if people were buying fake tickets but how in sake of honest business practices can an event be over sold?
    Because it was decided last minute to sell an additional 400 tickets in "temporary seating." Unfortunately, they did not complete the addition of all temporary seating in time.

There was another update to what the NFL is offering the ousted fans:

The 400 fans w/out seats last nite went on field postgame, received free merchandise, food, beverage, $2,400, free SB46 tix.

This still wouldn't be enough if I were one of the people to not get in to the game. Unless they are going to fly me to Indianapolis and pay for my room AND ensure either GB or Pitt makes it to the SB, they can't make up for this.

Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions? If so, it would seem that the NFL had all intentions of honoring the tickets but was prevented from doing so by something beyond their control. The fans should still be compensated, of course.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions? If so, it would seem that the NFL had all intentions of honoring the tickets but was prevented from doing so by something beyond their control. The fans should still be compensated, of course.
    I read that the Fire Marshall nixed the temp seating.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions?
    NFL execs have stated that this had nothing to do with the inclement weather. They said they knew of the potential problem by the middle of last week, but they thought they'd be able to get the seats completed, then inspected by the fire marshall. They never got to that point. Fire marshalls had nothing to do with it either. Fault lies solely on the NFL. They gambled and lost.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sup...e-unusable.ece

Arlington police spokeswoman Tiara Richard said the city’s fire marshal “played no role” in deciding that the unfinished seats would not be used because the NFL never asked the city to inspect those seats.
    “That was all the NFL’s call,” she said. “The fire marshal had no participation in the seats that were not completed. The fire marshal only inspected the seats that were completed.”
    Last edited by Rob Steffeck; 02-07-2011 at 1:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Ken,
    Here is a short article on it.
    Gary

http://sportscasm.com/2011/02/06/nfl...wboys-stadium/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Steffeck View Post
    They are going to give the people three times the face value of the ticket. That won't cover half of what most people spent on the Super Bowl. Hopefully the NFL / Jerry Jones will make this situation right.

As a diehard Steelers fan, congrats to the Packers. If I had to pick a team to lose to in the NFL, the Packers would be near the top of the list.
    I agree that I would not be happy but I would not want to get killed when I fell off the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I read that the Fire Marshall nixed the temp seating.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-...l-requirements
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That game should be an eye opener for the Browns....

Big Ben is a loser!!!

You hear that Browns???

A real champion leads his team down the field and scores to win in the last 2 min...

The Browns should own the Steelers as long as Little Benny is on the field...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That game should be an eye opener for the Browns....

Big Ben is a loser!!!

You hear that Browns???

A real champion leads his team down the field and scores to win in the last 2 min...

The Browns should own the Steelers as long as Little Benny is on the field...
    If Big Ben is a loser, then what are the browns? Wow.

I also wouldn't necessarily call a 2 time superbowl winning QB a loser. Say what you will about his off-field antics, but he is a damn good QB and the Steelers are glad to have him. Very few QBs in the league could have survived (physically) behind the rotating door of an offensive line the Steelers had this season.

As a Steelers fan, I don't hate the browns. Probably because they've posed no real threat in recent history. However, with Mangini gone and McCoy being the future, that could change. I'm sure Holmgren would like nothing more than to take it to the Steelers. Until then, we went to the SB again, browns didn't. Ben was a big reason for that.

If Big Ben is a loser, then what are the browns? Wow.
    Losers....
    Can't sugar coat that fact one bit.

The big news here locally all week was that Big Ben din't get the "respect he deserved for his two rings" and that a thrid ring would place him in some pretty elite company.
    His folding up in the last 2 min prettty much showed what he's got..
    All I'm saying is that the Browns should take note of the fact that despite two rings, Ben ain't no Bradshaw..

BTW -I'm a Steelers fan. Born and raised in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
    I'm also a Browns fan.
    More than either though, I'm a fan of a "good game" between the Steelers and the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Losers....
    Can't sugar coat that fact one bit.

The big news here locally all week was that Big Ben din't get the "respect he deserved for his two rings" and that a thrid ring would place him in some pretty elite company.
    His folding up in the last 2 min prettty much showed what he's got..
    All I'm saying is that the Browns should take note of the fact that despite two rings, Ben ain't no Bradshaw..

BTW -I'm a Steelers fan. Born and raised in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
    I'm also a Browns fan.
    More than either though, I'm a fan of a "good game" between the Steelers and the Browns.
    I moved away from Pittsburgh a little over 5 years ago. I still miss the sports scene there because Portland definitely doesn't have much of one.

I'll have to disagree about Ben. The 2 minute drill was disgusting, but it was as much if not more about the young receiving corp than it was Ben. Wallace has the speed no doubt, but route running and getting separation from coverage is not his strength yet. He showed that during the one play where Green Bay intercepted his pass. He didn't even fight for the ball. Sanders leaving the game didn't help things either. I just don't understand why Hines Ward wasn't part of that final drive instead of throwing to Wallace three times in a row. Packers defense was so concerned with Wallace and Brown that Ward had a fairly productive evening.

Ben has made things out of nothing in so many games I can't even count them. Even the greats can't do that every game (i.e., Brady in the divisional game against the Jets). Ben is every bit as good, if not better in my opinion than the current "media elite" of Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, and Vick. The only QBs I'd take right now over Ben would be Brady, Manning, or Brees. I'm still not sure where Rodgers fits in my lists. I am impressed with him to say the least.

i don't think ben is a loser, but i do think...

a) mike wallace, for all of his promise, is not santonio holmes..yet
    b) hines ward has definitely lost a step
    c) pouncey being out definitely affected the offense in a negative way, most people don't understand how critical the center's role is, he's like a traffic director for the O line.

on the other side of the coin, aaron rodgers definitely silenced all of the negative comparison to favre. when he was playing well, he was the best QB in the NFL this year, just as drew brees was when playing at his best last year.

the best QB usually wins as far as super bowls go, this game was no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    b) hines ward has definitely lost a step
    c) pouncey being out definitely affected the offense in a negative way, most people don't understand how critical the center's role is, he's like a traffic director for the O line.
    Hines hasn't been quick for quite a while. But he is still the best blocking receiver in the game. If running a screen, there is no other receiver I'd want someone to run behind.

I had concerns about Legursky replacing Pouncey leading up to the SB for the exact reasons you mention. However, Legursky did very well. Raji's impact wasn't what I was expecting. He did just fine keeping pressure off the quarterback.

I'd say Rodgers' ability to pick up the blitz quickly is what lost the Steelers the game. I saw at least 3 plays where Rodgers picked up the blitz by the coverage man on Jordy Nelson. The Steelers secondary, primarily at corner, is the biggest weakness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    on the other side of the coin, aaron rodgers definitely silenced all of the negative comparison to favre. when he was playing well, he was the best QB in the NFL this year, just as drew brees was when playing at his best last year.

the best QB usually wins as far as super bowls go, this game was no different.
    We were watching mid-afternoon 'how they got to this point' type programming. I saw a sign that made me chuckle the rest of the day. It was a sign by Green Bay fans that said "We'll never forget you, Bert".