Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

7 Feb 2011
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Woke up this morning to yet more snow. We are supposed to have a lot of snow, but I guess we'll see. This weather makes it difficult to ride my motorcycle.

Well, I did get in the shop this past weekend. I got some scrap stock ready to make some wooden forks. I then made 4 test forks...3 pickle forks and 1 large kraut fork. I will get pictures made and post them later on. The first 3 forks were made from wood out of my firewood pile. No need in busting up good lumber when I have a firewood pile with cherry, walnut, white oak, and read oak in it. I want to make some wooden spoons but I can tell right now that I do not have the right tools for carving spoons. More research to be done I guess.

Got some electric train stuff together to give a friend of mine. My oldest son loved trains and we spent a good bit of money on trains and now that he's gone, we don't need it nor want it and would love for it to go to a home where it will be enjoyed.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Worked on the last two drawers for my cantilevered table project. Persnickety work - lots of odd angles and a precise fit is needed. Watched the Superbowl while sub-assemblies dried. Changed the oil on my car and other maintenace. Seemed a full weekend to me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

The only thing woodworking related I did was remove some more of the paint from my bandsaw rehab project. I have no idea what scheme for paint I will use since Dave decided that SMC members should decide for me but the paint has to come off one way or another. Maybe if I have some time today to strip the rest of the paint I may spray the primer, but I don't even know what primer to shot... so I guess I won't.

Not a lot of time for the shop this weekend. Got a new receptacle wired for the DC as I'm continuing to rearrange my shop. Picked up some sewer & drain PVC and some fittings for ductwork. Also, was able to pick up the DC kit from HF. For about $48, it looks worth the money. Started a little work on the Thein style separator. Lot more to do.

Got my Mr. Sawdust Table finished, and installed on my new-to-me RAS:

Yeah. I know. I ran the bar stock the wrong way. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Waiting for a handful of parts (blade, stiffener, bearings, cords, dust snout), to get 'er up and running !

I made a New Years resolution to try and take photographs of projects, something I don't normally do.

I've enclosed a couple showing the tiles dry fitted to make sure everything is OK, and one showing the table ready for finish.

Wood is QSWO...........Rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finished spraying a wall cabinet and a vanity base cabinet for a bath remodel my son and I are working on. Faceframes and doors are hard maple, boxes are 3/4" American C2 maple ply, finish is General Finishes Enduro Poly tinted to match Benjamin Moore "Simply White".
    Last edited by scott vroom; 02-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Finished my first ever kitchen cabinet! I made a few mistakes but learned a lot. Overall I am very happy with my first attempts at using several "more advanced" techniques (first face frame, first dadoes, first rabbits, first drawer boxes, first drawer slide mounting, etc.) I need to work on matching the grain and color of the wood better as well as some fit and finish type stuff. I used pocket holes for the face frame and several places in the box construction. It's good enough for now, though. Only 15 or so left to go. By that time, I will likely want to redo this one. It sits alone between the stove and fridge so it will be easy to replace should I ever want to do so.

k.jpg

Well, I was going to start working on building a new wine rack for my wine cellar. It was to be a 120 bottle X-cube design. I had bought the wood a week or so ago, and had not had a chance to start the project for I ended up spending that weekend making a dado and rebate jig for my hand held router. By the time I got to the actual project this weekend the wood was cupped, and I don't really have a way to "uncup" it. Since I don't have the money to purchase new wood this past weekend, I started finishing up the job of insulating my 9'x15' shop that the previous owner started. I finished insulating all the walls, and am 1/4 of the way done with the ceiling. Next big project after putting the insulation up in the ceiling will be to re-assemble my shop since I am having to move everything around.

Ran around Saturday with a friend picking up some cull lumber from the Borgs, as well as some cookies from the other assimilationists, the Girl Scouts. Got 90% of the way through building a garage shelving unit for the friend using the culls and some 2x4s, all that's left to do is drill the holes for screwing the shelves down, and then screw the shelves down.

And watched the Superbowl.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Finished up a walnut / red oak scrap wood mallet with turned handle that I started last Wednesday.

Toted more misc stuff up. Finished testing and either fixing, or stripping for bulbs the Christmas light strands that gave up the ghost this past year.

Got 90% done building a wooden artificial Christmas tree stand when I managed to realize my design won't work and had to hit the drawing board again, literally...

Rolled out another 2 rolls of R30 in the attic. I am almost to the point where I just have the cathedral ceiling in the living room to finish, that will get done with blown in insulation...

Spent some quality time with the wife. Something due to external influences (extended family) we haven't been able to do... Took her out for Pho Noodle Soup at her favorite Vietnamese place, and of course, watched the Super Bowl...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 02-07-2011 at 3:30 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Because Professor Dr. SWMBO had some medical treatment late in the week that precluded her being able to handle the critters and kids, my weekend was a bit busy doing a bunch of running around for activities, doing the weekly food shopping and preparing a really wonderful Thai style soup for Sunday's meal. A bit of time on the back of two horses, too, with my lesson on Saturday and some free riding with the girls on Sunday. I had intended on getting into the shop for a little while, but time ran out...maybe next weekend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good and the bad. I'm building my first kitchen full of cabinets. I'm working on my second wall of cabinets. It includes an upper, lower/micro, 8' tall double oven, and 8' x 4' storage. The bad - I spent all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday top coating the box parts and face frames. In a garage shop it's a challenge but I'm getting more efficient as I go. The good thing is I'm really getting good at spray finishing.

Mike

14. It finally warmed up enough here in the Twin Cities, to log some serious shop time. I'm working on another batch of boxes. One will be sent to a friend to use as part of a Valentine's Day gift for her husband and a half dozen will land in Maryland for a school fund raiser. Some will be divvied out as gifts and I was thinking of trying an Etsy account to sell a few. I've never sold any of my work before, so it'll be new. Here are a few pics of some boxes I finished a while back for Christmas gifts, and some of my progress on this latest run of boxes. You can catch several longer posts (with copious pictures) via my blog link in my profile.

Pete

I finally got around to turning a piece of maple to try and replicate a trim piece off an antique walnit table I'm refinishing. Just need to set up a jig to do the bottom and back cuts to match the original. Thank goodness it was only the 12" piece off of a leaf that was missing.

IMG_8202.jpgtable.jpg