Thread: Skew vs Fishtail Chisels

Blog Entries

Skew vs Fishtail Chisels

I guess the first question is whether or not people find this type chisel regularly helpful? I guess we need to talk dovetails here. I understand that half blinds are where these guys shine, but at least intellectually, it seems to me they could be helpful cleaning out regular dovetails as well.

I like the idea of the Fishtails as one chisel works on either side and one chisel might be all I would need? It would seem however that a skew might reach the sides better and the fishtail reach the back better?

I find that both LN and BS make these chisels and in the case of these specialty chisels the prices seem to be about the same. I tend to horse things a little on occasion and thought the LN socket chisels might be sturdier although I don't actually see much pressure being applied to these more delicate finishing tools. Opinions?

I think you're better off making skews out of cheap old chisels and cleaning the backs with a heavy marking knife if you can't get to the middle with the skew chisels you make.

Blog Entries
    I have been checking out the older chisels at auction. I think that is a good suggestion as the quality of the steel should not be quite the issue with the more delicate tool. My old marking knife seems to have grown legs so maybe I could make a marking knife with an old chisel too. I actually have a Dunlap 1/4" bevel edge I won that is in route, it might make a skew although the socket design and handle type might be more suitable for heavier use.

I have 1/4" & 3/8" LN skews as well as a LN 3/8" fishtail. They are not used much at all (my wife buys all presents for me from LN or LV!).

I have my best results much like Dave said, with using a knife for both back and the corners.

I definitely don't see the need for the set of left and right skew chisels...but I haven't seen the price...maybe they're cheap and a set isn't much more than one. All you have to do is flip the chisel over and use the bevel down, but maybe it's nice to have both.

George Wilson mentioned using a fish tail for his dovetails. I don't own one. I use a skew chisel, and I can say that sacrificing a junk chisel is a waste of time. A decent 1/4" or 1/4" chisel isn't that expensive.

TFWW sells some pretty affordable fishtails made in USA by Ramelson.

I have the detail skews from LV... no mallet use on these... but sharpened up... they prove quite handy very often.

I have the BS fishtail and use it frequently. That being said if I had to do it again I would grind my own. The neck on my BS is thin so it flexes a little too much for my liking.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I think you're better off making skews out of cheap old chisels and cleaning the backs with a heavy marking knife if you can't get to the middle with the skew chisels you make.
    +1 Make your own from either old chisels or 1/4" Irwins (about $10 each). You don't use a skew that much.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a BS 1/2 fishtail and the BS 1/4 skews. I still haven't been using the fishtail as I have not attacked half bling DT's yet, but the skews have been getting use and I enjoy them very much...

I think a skew can perhaps get into tighter corners than a fishtail chisel, but I ground a fleamarket 3/8" chisel into a spearpoint, giving me in effect left and right skews in one tool.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 02-07-2011 at 1:31 PM.

I asked Tasai, through Tomohito Iida, to make me a 9 mm bachi nomi (fish tail), and he did. It works perfectly. The nice thing is that I can use it for clearing the middle as well as the sides. Just in case I wanted to make some ultra small dovetails, I recently ordered a 6mm Tasai special dovetail chisel. The problem with some 6 mm's is the neck is too thin, but Tasai has managed to forge past that. It also works perfectly. Note that the smallest LN fish tail is 3/8" (9 mm). I think this is wise for a sort of mass produced chisel.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Niedermayer; 02-07-2011 at 3:05 PM.