Thread: Palm

Palm

Has anyone ever turned palm. I recently acquired a few pieces of sable palm. I know it can be done because Ive seen bowls made from it, but it looks like it would be like turning a bundle of hay. Any advise before I jump in and ruin what little I have.

Thanks, Glenn
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

I turned some Black Palm stoppers a while back--was easy to work with and finished beautifully. Don't know if Sable is the same so take it FWIW.

I turned a black palm HF once and quickly figured out why it was so cheap at Woodcraft. Its exactly like turning a wad of straw that has been cemented together. The outside wasn't terrible to shape but I had to use the 80 grit gouge to "fix" the tear out and basic shape. While hollowing I finally gave up and left it at 1/4". It beat the tar out of me trying to hollow, by hand.

The finished product is beautiful and I have thought about getting another chuck of it for a rainy day, but I wouldn't ever want to turn it on a regular basis.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Did a few pens Glenn. Everything I've read says it has to be stabilized and the pen blanks used were indeed. There are sevral stabilizing services out there or have a lash at for a learing experiance!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

your description is accurate..it is like turning a bundle of hay. Most turnings I see & what I have done are turned end grain to get the little dots to be prominant. Keep your tools razor sharp. The end result is worth it!

Glenn I have turned a number of duck calls from black palm and it is by far the most challenging material I have ever turned. Acrylics are easier, corian is easier, all other wood is easier IMHO. I'd liken it to turning a bundle of toothpicks that are lightly glued together. I've found that sharp gouges work better than carbide tools or scrapers on it, and you have to take very delicate cuts. Go at it with the roughing gouge or try to take big bites and you'll regret it. I've had good luck "stabilizing" it as I go with thin CA....When you get a spot that warrants it give it a few drops, which will soak in. I absolutely hate the stuff but it is gorgeous when turned so I keep buying it.

Don't know about sable palm, but my experience with black and red palm was like the others described. Stabilized pen blanks are not too difficult, but the dry, raw material is dusty and difficult. With that said, the end grain appearance makes for lovely lidded boxes and hollow forms.

I had a 2x2x12 piece of black palm that I made a bunch of wine stoppers from. Turned real nice and finished well too

This piece of black palm that Keith Burns did is a nice as I've seen turned from palm!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=black+palm

Here is my only attempt at black palm. It was not stabilized, just a block of agony! Gives you a little idea of what it looks like after polished up.

blackpalm.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I started turning a palm vase last night, it has been setting for 4 yrs. I turned a tenon then soaked the tenon with a bunch of thin ca glue to try & harden it, but it still needs support to keep it from breaking loose
    from the chuck, so i supported it with tail stock & got it to a pre-finished state then soaked it with shellac to sand & fill the grain & somewhat harden it. I removed the tail stock to hollow it out, I am using a steady to
    help support it. You need to take light cuts as it is like shredded wheat. It cuts easy but fast....I will hollow it purty thick & then refine the outside shape. This is local palm here in south Texas & I'm not sure of the name but it will darken almost like the black palm when you finish it.

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

Like others I have turned both Black and Red palm and found it to be one of the more difficult mediums to work with. Almost impossible without CA glue. A member of our turning club turned a medium hollow form out of a chunk of palm that was green...said it was like turning a head of iceburg lettuce. Good luck.

Well, I never heard of black or red palm at least I dont ever recall hearing about it. I guess I'm going to jump in and see what happens if I ever get through tiling the bathroom.

Mike, glad to see you mentioned the tenon and CA glue as I was wondering about that. I look forward to seeing some pics of yours when you are finished.

Scott, that picture of the piece you posted is really beautiful, if all palm looks anything like that it would definitely be worth the time effort.

Thank for all the input guys.

GT

I've turned some black palm. After all the horror stories, I was prepared for the worst. It actually turned easily and without any tearout. Hollowing was a bit slow. It polishes up really nicely. Here's a picture. It's about 3.5" wide.

IMG_0050_2.JPG
    Last edited by Ryan Baker; 02-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

I finally got around the giving the Sable Palm a whirl and all I can say for it is EEEEEYYYYUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK. It was like trying to turn a radial tire, All I could cut was the rubber and the steel belts a sticking out everywhere. It's still pretty wet so I'm going to let it dry some and then see what happens. It was really strange with no pith or knots and the unusual grain. If I can't turn it I'll just make a TIKI out of it.