Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delta BOSS trouble

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the capacitor that I bought from TEDSS. That seemed to solve the problem and the BOSS is up and running again.

I had a problem with my BOSS sander similar to what's been described in this thread. I took out the run capacitor and noticed the bottom had ruptured. An ohmmeter across the leads showed zero (not infinite) resistance, so I knew the capacitor went bad. I wasn't sure if this was the root cause or a consequence of the root cause, but I decided to replace the capacitor anyway. A Google search showed that TEDSS had a very similar capacitor. (The link ended up being the same link from earlier in this thread.) I went ahead and ordered from them. I installed it last week and so far so good.

When I researched this problem on the Internet I noticed several forums discussing problems with the BOSS' motor and capacitor. My guess is that the motor gets too hot because the ventilation isn't very good. There are vent openings directly under the sanding table, and 1/8" openings around most of the bottom of the base, but when I did a little smoke test I could hardly detect any air flow through the vents. It might not make much difference, but in the future I may try putting the sander on some 2xs to help get more air moving beneath it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this thread.

Blog Entries
    this question doesnt pertain to any capacitors but i figured since there are so many BOSS owners here you could answer something for me?

has anyone come up with a trick for loosening the top bolt holding the sanding drums or do i just have to keep flipping my sander over to
    put the allen wrench in the bottom hole? why would any company make it so difficult to change out a drum?

there should be a rod or something to lock the spindle that comes in from the front or side?

any ideas on this?

BOSS Drums

As I recall, I just hold the drum with one hand and loosen the retaining screw (left-hand threads??) with the other. I don't seem to need to tighten it up very much and can always loosen it this way. It never has come loose in operation. Hope this helps.

Kevin

New BOSS owner here, but I agree w/ Jerry S - just hold the spindle in your hand while you use the socket wrench. The threads are left handed.

Jim

capictor

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin Geiser View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem with my sander, the capacitor is cracked and leaking, obviously bad.
    The biggest issue is finding the right size to fit in that small area, and I haven't had any luck yet.
    However, I found that Delta does sell a replacement capacitor for their model SA150 disc/belt sander which also has a 1/4hp motor - probably the exact same motor. The photo looks exactly the same as mine, so hopefully the dimensions are the same as well.
    The capacitor for the SA150 is Delta p/n 1340645, I'm ordering one today for $20.56 at www.toolpartsdirect.com, but it should be available from anybody who sells Delta parts. Here's a few options
    I'll let you know whether or not this is a good fix, if so it should help a lot of people, as I've seen this problem quite a few places online while googling for a solution.

I just recived one I ordered from banggood CBB60 Washing Machine Capacitor 250V for $3.00 it is a little bigger but fits in the stock cover, so far it working great, I believe amazon also sells this item

This worked for me.
    250VAC 16uF CBB60 Motor Run Capacitor 16 uF/MFD 250 VAC 250V AC 30x65mm UL Listed (25/70/21) https://a.co/d/6caHe74

as long as its rated at 16mF, the rated voltage wont matter as long as its OVER your nominal voltage (120v etc) , 370 and 440 volt capacitors are easier to find usually - its an everyday item in HVAC work. If you have a multimeter that reads volts and amps, and are comfortable with live voltage, there are videos and a formula to check the capacitor while running to verify its bad. I have ran across numerous ones in my work that test good with a meter on the mF setting, but are actually bad when verified this way