Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta BOSS trouble

I am experiencing the same problem with my sander, the capacitor is cracked and leaking, obviously bad.
    The biggest issue is finding the right size to fit in that small area, and I haven't had any luck yet.
    However, I found that Delta does sell a replacement capacitor for their model SA150 disc/belt sander which also has a 1/4hp motor - probably the exact same motor. The photo looks exactly the same as mine, so hopefully the dimensions are the same as well.
    The capacitor for the SA150 is Delta p/n 1340645, I'm ordering one today for $20.56 at www.toolpartsdirect.com, but it should be available from anybody who sells Delta parts. Here's a few options
    I'll let you know whether or not this is a good fix, if so it should help a lot of people, as I've seen this problem quite a few places online while googling for a solution.

I received a response from TEDSS.com today on their Item ID: 2020005635

They say it is 1-1/8" x 2-1/8". They sent a photo and it is a similar configuration to the old Delta part number. The MFD and voltage ratings are the same. It costs about $22.00 plus $14.10 S&H.

Jerry-that's the one I called them about but they never got back to me. It sounds like the right one. Are you going to order it?

Franklin-let me know if that is the right one after you get it.

Try newark.com they have your capacitor 16 uF 125wvac http://www.newark.com/cornell-dubili...25v/dp/87F1264 Good Luck Jim

Hmmm, this might take a while. Just checked up on my order and it's currently "On order from manufacturer".
    I'll bug them and see if I can get an estimated ship date at least.

James - the link you posted is to a 160uF capacitor, not a 16. Additionally, it's 69mm tall while the OEM is closer to 50mm tall, and 1 7/16" diameter instead of 1.25" (how's that for mixing units?)
    Newark does have a PS2125 that is a 21uF, which should be close enough, but the size will still make it difficult to install. Oh, and it looks like a minimum order of 47 pieces for the 21uF one. Just can't win, eh?

Looks like it's going to come down to the Delta that I have ordered, or the TEDSS product, which sounds like it would also be a good solution.

Seems odd that the motor shop you visited couldnt help you. All you need is the proper cap, it can be mounted anywhere. You may want to check the windings to ensure you didnt let the smoke out. before spending too much t&m on it ?
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McGeehan View Post
    Jerry-that's the one I called them about but they never got back to me. It sounds like the right one. Are you going to order it?

Franklin-let me know if that is the right one after you get it.
    Dave - I may. It seems a little pricy with the extra $14 for S&H but it's a lot cheaper than ordering a new motor. I think I'll wait a little more to see if anyone discovers a better deal. I have a suspicion that Grizzley sells something exactly like the one we need. I just don't know which tool it's in and they typically don't give a physical description of the part.

Franklin, don't be surprised if you are eventually told it is no longer available from the manufacturer. Here are two examples of that size capacitor when they are Delta related:
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cap...-p-111483.html

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cap...f-p-88567.html

So far this looks like the only one I can find: http://www.tedss.com/D22A2516M21
    Last edited by Dave McGeehan; 02-19-2011 at 4:24 PM.

Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks, Greg. I called Mouser and spoke to a tech. He was very helpful and checked every way possible for a capacitor somewhere in the range I need but no luck.

I ordered this capacitor today. D22A2516M21: 16uF 250V Motor Run Capacitor

After I install it I'll post the results.

12. This is my first post here. I found this thread because i recently bought a used BOSS that wound up having similar problems as the ones described here. i narrowed it down to the cap. and tore apart the machine. Sure enough the capacitor was ruptured in a few places. The machine sounded awful when I ran it, the motor got hot and the capacitor started smoking little after about 5 minutes of use.

I started the search to find a replacement, found all the places mentioned here and had no luck also. I took my capacitior out and took it a few local places and they told me it was start capacitor (black plastic casing), not a run capacitor. I know very little about this stuff so I trusted that.

I finally found a website that had what I thought was an acceptable replacement (16uf 250v).

Here it is:
    http://www.surplussales.com/capacitors/motorstart.html

Cost was $13 plus shipping.

I just received it yesterday, installed it last night, got the sander back together and gave it a test run. Everything looks and sounds good so far.

The only problem I had was that it is slightly bigger than the original and would not fit well into the original cover. I went to my local recycling yard and rummaged through their pile of motors until I found a cover that would work size-wise. They just gave it to me. All I had to do was drill new holes (be careful not to drill into the stator) and tap.

Anyway, that's my experience. Glad I found this site too!

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin Geiser View Post
    Hmmm, this might take a while. Just checked up on my order and it's currently "On order from manufacturer".
    I'll bug them and see if I can get an estimated ship date at least.
    I received the capacitor today, it's not quite the same but I think it'll work.
    It's 12uF instead of 16, measures the same diameter (30mm), and is quite a bit shorter (40mm instead of 52mm)
    It came with a one hole steel mounting strap.
    I think that 12uF is close enough that it ought to work, but I'll post up the results when I get it installed.

edit: Yup, it works. No problems at all, and since it's the same diameter it's a very easy install.
    Last edited by Franklin Geiser; 02-28-2011 at 3:52 PM.

I installed the capacitor last night and it's working fine. For me the main question is what caused the capacitor to go bad? Defective caps? Motor/cap mismatch? Cap ruined by motor problem? My guess is the caps were defective. I don't use an OSS often so it'll take awhile before I know how reliable this motor/cap combo is. Since the original only lasted about an hour of run time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Caps don't age gracefully. Especially if they go unused for long periods of time. Tube Guitar amps use big caps in the power supply and these can last decades if used regularly.

So if you bought a spare with the idea of swapping it when the other one wears out, that spare will actually degrade quicker than the one in service.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.