Thread: Help, Please - Back Saw Confusion!

Question Help, Please - Back Saw Confusion!

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of rip and crosscut saws for general tenon and cabinet work. I already own a small dovetail saw by Footprint, purchased in the UK years back, and I am happy with it.

The choices are boggling! I know, stop complaining, 15 years ago this wasn't the case. But I've read the very informative saw article on the TFWW website, and then studied the offerings by Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley, Adria, Wenzloff and I'm confused again.
    I wish to buy a quality saw, I don't mind paying $150, but $250 is too much for my budget. Any suggestions on which one strikes a nice balance of cost/quality?

I also have looked at the bow saws from ECE and others, and they interest me also.

I welcome suggestions of other makers, even if it makes me more confused.

Thanks very much,

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 02-07-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Peter,

Of course it is confusing. You are not alone in this boat.

My favorites in back saws are just starting to get into focus.

You can save a lot of money if you can find old back saws at yard sales, antique shops or any other source.

Currently I have about a half dozen and am finding that for dovetails a short light weight saw with a medium to high tooth count works for me. For tenon or lap joinery a bigger saw with maybe a 10 ppi count works nicely. For bench hook cut off and cross cutting joinery my 16" back saw, also about 10 ppi is the bee's knees.

These inexpensive saws will help you to not only learn to file a saw, they will let you know if you want something deeper or longer for particular cuts. Then when you figure out what you want to spend the big bucks on there won't be any regrets.

There are likely to be some tool shows in your area where you could actually get some hands on with a few premium saws.

My experience was that my time spent learning to file saws has paid off. Despite all the sweetness of those new saws, my own saws cut just as well. That has given me the determination to try to make a handle or two and then get the materials and make my own.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a LN Carcass Saw and the 16" Tenon Saw Rip. I'm pretty happy with both. Although you note that you already have a dovetail saw, I'll say that I'm very pleased with the LN thin plate dovetail saw as well. It's very easy to start, but still cuts quickly. I'm not sure if you've had the pleasure of using the LN saws, but they're very well constructed. The handles are well designed, and very comfortable to hold. Chris Schwarz has posted a couple of blog entries on the various saws that he'd recommend, but the three listed are a good start. He's also written about the used saw market. I guess if you've got the time and patience to rehab an old saw there's some $$ savings at the expense of some time. Assuming you have the necessary tools to do the rehab.
    New Canuck Workshop

Bow saws are great...but the ones you see are huge. Yes, we've all seen the guy cut minute dovetails with a 30" bow saw...but...no thanks. There is a guy on ebag (why don't we say the name?,) who sells good sized bow saws for small joinery, but at 70 bucks you'd be better off with a backsaw.

Why have I never read about PAX saws here? I got the LV catalogue and I had no idea that pax saws (non backed) were taper ground and breasted. For 80 bucks that sounds like a sweet deal. I let a 20 dollar mint pax panel saw go....I'm kicking myself now.

Anywho, the Wenzloff tenon saw and dovetail saw are reasonbly priced, as are the. Pax backsaws (if they are any good).
    Last edited by john brenton; 02-08-2011 at 12:49 AM.

The Veritas saws are nice at any price, but they're even nicer at what they actually sell for.

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    Why have I never read about PAX saws here? I got the LV catalogue and I had no idea that pax saws (non backed) were taper ground and breasted. For 80 bucks that sounds like a sweet deal. I let a 20 dollar mint pax panel saw go....I'm kicking myself now.
    Don't kick too much:

http://tomfidgen.blogspot.com/2008/08/good-bad-and.html

I've got a crapload of saws: LN's, Adria, Gramercy, Wenzloff's and many vintage. For small dovetail joinery, I love the Gramercy. Right behind the Gramercy is an open grip Jackson Tom Law sharpened for me a number of years ago. For tenon work my drop dead favorite (wasn't yet mentioned) is the LV carcas saw I bought right after Christmas. It is the equal of any other saw I've used and better than most. When you take into account the price is only $69.00, I would consider the bargain of all saws.

Visit the Bad Axe site. Hands down my favorite. They aren't cheap but IMO well worth the money. You will own the saw for life.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

+1 about bad axe. Mark is great and his saws are fine tuned works of art. I have a 12 inch x cut and I love it. Soon I will buy the rip cut in the same size. His tools surpass LN in quality.

Thanks, guys. I put a deposit on a Bad Axe 14" Sash, and spent a little more but I'm selling a few Festools I don't use enough.
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 02-09-2011 at 4:04 PM.

You will not be disappointed.