Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purple Passion Hollow Form

Smile Purple Passion Hollow Form

Maple hollow form with an acrylic finial, 8 ¾” to top of finial x 8” diameter x approx. 3/16” thick. Sanded to 400 grit, dyed with RIT purple dye and has several coats of wipe-on poly. The hollow form was finished over a week ago and has since been buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Purple Passion v1.jpg Purple Passion v2.jpg Purple Passion v3.jpg Purple Passion v4.jpg Purple Passion v5.jpg Purple Passion v6.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's a beauty. The acrylic works well, nice job.

That is really a clean piece Steve. The color came out very well. And, I always like the acrylic finials that you do. Very nice.

Very nice. I like the purple and the way the knots show through the dye.

Steve, Cool!!

Truly unique and beautiful. Very well done!!!

Alan

That thing is sharp Steve. Really nice form and finish. Love the finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like the main form and shape of finial works well, but I'm not a big fan of acrylics in this capacity. I think a black finial would make a stunning contrast and better compliment the piece...again, IMO perhaps only. All that being said, a more modern art scene would welcome this approach using acrylics with open arms, I suspect.
    Well executed piece that we can all learn from regardless.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

8. That one is stunning, Steve! I really like the shape of the form itself, and the finial..........did you have to carve it, heat it up and bend it to get that shape, or how did you accomplish the bent finial form?

I think this is such an eye catcher, and it will certainly find a place among other forms you have done using acrylic. I do like the purple, and I think you gave it an appropriate name..........you have a passion for turning, and this turning is purple, so "purple passion" does speak to its existence.

I got a little excited when I saw this one! Makes me wonder.......what will you come up with next? I am thinking my time is overdue for another foray into the "world of dyeing" and this has just inspired me..........gee, that is real nice!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Now that is truly unique. I'm curious as to what liming wax would do to a piece like that?
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    I'll have to agree with Tim on this one... something about acrylic topping a nice piece that lessens it somehow. Now if that same piece was done in glass, then we might have something... maybe a black or smoked gray? I like the bowl itself either way...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I really like the contemporary form and love the purple!

That is beautiful Steve, that is just amazing color you have in the piece of wood. Personaly I dont care for arcylic mixed with wood pieces, but this does work very nice with your HF.

Great shape and color! I would really like to see the finial in person. Hard for me to make out its exact shape. Distinctive and eyecatching overall. Very well done!

Steve,

Didn't know what to call this but Jeff hit it on the head. Contyempoary. And gorgeous. WHat colors do you have left in your pallet for us?

Quinn

Steve, this came together quite well!! You do need to post a close up pic of the finial so the detail can be appreciated. Having seen a "preview", I can attest to its beautifully done facets and flowing curves - a wonderful combination of angles and curves. Which brings me to the title - Purple Passion is so appropriate as this piece has a certain sensuality to it! You have done a fantastic job with the turning, and the vision of the finial was pure art!