Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purple Passion Hollow Form

+1 on the request for close up of the finial, it is hard to see the shape. A lot of different things on this one, the form of both the HF and the finial, and the color. Love the color and form, and suspect I will like the finial better when I can see more of it. This is a turning that I wish we had scrollable 3d capabilities with.

Very cool piece Steve. Not sure if you did an off set turning for the finial or not, but I do like it.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Really different....Really nice. Good job Steve.

Sweet work as usual Steve.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - I appreciate it! I do apologize to those folks that prefer only wood but the look I was after was not possible any other way.

The finial was turned but only the bottom portion so that I could fit it to the lid. After that it was shaped by using a drum sander, an oscillating belt sander and lots & lots of hand sanding!

Here are a few additional photos that - hopefully - show the various facets of the piece. The photos are in sequence and the finial was rotated clockwise after every shot.

Purple Passion Finial v1.jpg Purple Passion Finial v2.jpg Purple Passion Finial v3.jpg Purple Passion Finial v4.jpg Purple Passion Finial v5.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Seeing the finial closeups, I think my opinion has changed a bit. This looks more like crystal than acrylic, close up. The devil is in the details, as is said. Very elegant and well done.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Steve,
    You must have a sense of "fashion forward". You dyed your hollow form this years hottest linen color. Our event rental company finds purple to be this season's most requested color. It looks great on your turning as well. The clear finial adds a contemporary appearance.
    faust

That's really cool! I love the look of the acrylic finial, and having made a few plastic pens, I can imagine the amount of sanding and polishing that went into achieving such a great finish on it.

I love purple, so the color choice is spot on for me, too!

I keep thinking about the possibilities of lighting the finial from within the form with some type of LED... Not sure that's the look you're going for, but that's what's running through my head.

Great job and thanks for sharing. Did I mention that I love the finial?

I like it Steve, that's "Plum crazy!" I was thinking it was the wildest looking purpleheart I have seen, then I read your description. I really like the form and the color, and the finial works perfectly. After having looked at WOW, I think the turner's on the Creek are really on the "cutting edge" (I know, can't resist the puns today) and this piece really shows it. I gotta say, in classic mopar muscle, plum crazy purple works... On this hollow form, it definitely works fantastically.

I am in the early stages of experimenting with dye, I am sure I will have some questions for you. I do have a question for you now though, I am having difficulty buffing WOP, I was hoping you would be willing to share your procedure with me Steve. Feel free to PM me I don't want to hijack your thread.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I can only imagine how long it took to sand that acrylic. Really quite stunning. Always eager to see you pieces.

Mike

Steve, this is exquisite! Great Job. Thanks for sharing.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Wonderful if non-traditional. The finial looks like cut crystal, must have taken lots of hand sanding.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Steve, as always a great looking form. The finial must have taken a ton of hand work.
    Jack

Wow! That's beautiful. In a word - elegant. Do you intend to sell it and if so, for how much?

I looked at this for a bit Steve. The form is modern and who says you can't do that?! I really like it!! I'm working on the finial. I think it lacks the ummph to carry the rest of the form. By the same token...the traditional blackwood or ebony would not compliment it...rather be the status quo. Maybe same material, different form?Hmmmmm..I just don't know
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots