Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cradle for my new granddaughter.

A cradle for my new granddaughter.

I just finished this cradle for my new granddaughter, due in about three weeks. The wood used is African Mahogany. I used a dark stain, and top coated with Arm-R-Seal. I don't care for the dark stain, but my son and daughter-in-law like dark stains. The darker the better... The construction is all mortise and tenons, and through mortise and tenons.

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

An early congrats on the new granddaughter Sam.
    Beautiful work on the cradle. I'm sure it will be a family heirloom.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful cradle Sam. I made a similar one for my granddaughter several years ago.

Does yours have a lock to keep it from swinging?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

great job sam.ill bet that will see many generations

Blog Entries
    Great looking heirloom!!

Thanks Gary, Bruce, Jim S, and Jim R for the kind words. Thanks Gary for the congrats, we are sure looking forward to our new granddaughter.

Bruce, I did install a lock on the bottom of the cradle. It just flips down when the cradle is to be locked. I also designed the cradle so it could be lifted off of the stand for moving. It also has bearings that it swings on.

Sam

cradle lock 003_edited-1.jpgcradle lock 004.jpgcradle lock 006.jpg

Looks great Sam. Do you have any pics showing how you used those bearings?

Rick Potter

Sam....Let me congratulate you and your granddaughter! I think both are extremely blessed! BTW....nice new family heirloom!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful work for your special girl. She will cherish it for years to come.

Angie

Beautiful job! Congratulations on your granddaughter.

I like that lock - haven't seen one like that before. Is that your design?

Great work Sam, and congratulations on the addition to your family.
    I would love to build one of these - my wife and I are expecting our second in a couple of months, and I know she would be thrilled. Thanks for posting. It's an inspiration.

That's a wonderful piece, Sam. I admire the construction and the finish. Can't wait to see it filled!

Rick,

Here are a couple of photo's showing the bearings. First I turned a spindle that was 1 3/8" dia to fit into the cradle, stepped down to 3/4" to fit the inside dia of the bearing. I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the spindle and epoxied a steel 3/8" rod for strength. Then, I turned the handle and drilled a 3/4" hole to fit the spindle, turned a spacer, epoxied, and it is finished.

More cradle photo's 019.jpgMore cradle photo's 037.jpgMore cradle photo's 042.jpg

Carl,

I used three different plans, made modifications, and added my designs. One of the plans had a lock somewhat like mine, but I modified the one on the plans to what you see. The handle and bearings are my design. I wanted to be able to remove the cradle from the stand for transpiration.

Ken, Angie, Mark, and Prashum,

Thank you for the kind words and the congratulations. Mark, I really enjoyed building the cradle. This is the second one I have built. The first was for my daughter when she had my first granddaughter about 12 years ago. I think your wife would really enjoy one.

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Layton; 02-11-2011 at 1:09 PM.

Very nice cradle. The beginning of an heirloom. Man,,I've never seen a carpet that clean...

Thanks for the shots of the bearing setup. It's great seeing all the unseen touches you incorporated in the design.

Rick Potter