Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese boring gimlets

Hida's site is a pain in the but to link to, isn't it? I just found the gimlets under the top-level Bamboo menu. There's a Gimlet entry that takes you to them. Three sizes with square or triangular tips. Not sure of the difference in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chestnut View Post
    Hida's site is a pain in the but to link to, isn't it? I just found the gimlets under the top-level Bamboo menu. There's a Gimlet entry that takes you to them. Three sizes with square or triangular tips. Not sure of the difference in use.
    It certainly is; but the store in person is a treasure trove, love visiting there.

Maybe the gimlets are under the Bamboo entry because they're used mostly in bamboo, fence making and the like?

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    It certainly is; but the store in person is a treasure trove, love visiting there.

Maybe the gimlets are under the Bamboo entry because they're used mostly in bamboo, fence making and the like?

Pam
    Could be. I've never used one before, so I wonder. I'd love to get to visit their store one day.

Folks, help please!

I'm trying to find the youtube video that featured the japanese cabinet maker... I'm pretty sure it was linked off of this site in one of the threads, but I can't find it. Anybody still have the link?

-jamie

Is this what you are looking for?

Yes!! Thank you David!

(I really enjoy the part when he closes one drawer and the others pop open due to air pressure!)

-jamie

David, that's a great video series, many thanks. Love the way he lays out (Not) and cuts dovetails, really love that bit when he uses a cutting gauge to stab cut the dovetails on the drawer sides, have to watch this series again. Anybody have a better photo of that small ironed plane he uses to cut the dovetail mitre? Or, gasp, know what it's called? Some sort of rebate?

Pam