Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you find time to turn ?

Smile How do you find time to turn ?

It's be awhile since I have posted. Sadly I haven't made anything new or even touched my lathe for about 8 months. How do you find time to turn ? Between college and a girlfriend and work I don't seem to have any time or money left for turning. I used to only have pieces sit around long enough to warp before I could get To them. Now everything I had been working on is cracked or to warped to use. I guess I need to find a new way to store my works in progress too. Hopefully I will be able to get back out to the lathe some time soon. I have almost a thousand pounds of Burl just waiting to be created into something awesome before it rots
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis.......It's easy to understand why you don't have time to turn. IMHO....your education is more important. Maybe you can find time over the holidays to turn a few hours.....put your roughouts in a box with shavings until you get the next chance.

Keep at the education. Few make a living with turning.....a lot make it with a college degree. Good to see you posting again.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I bet you are going to get a ton of different answers to this question, for me...I am retired on disability due to an spinal injury so I am home most all the time, I can stand to work at my lathe for 1/2 to an hour on a good day at any one time, I try to go down into my shop 2-3 times a day...but I am so SLOW at it. Some folks turn things out like crazy, I spend half my time making a cut...then thinking about my next step for 10-15 minutes to make sure I will be happy with the direction I am going in...then make a few more cuts and repeat! lol....thats my routine...Tim

Curtis!! Its been a long time! It is definitely hard to find time to turn sometimes. I'm in a similar boat; nursing school, but manage to find a little time. I'm starting to be a production style turner, but with artsy, natural edge pieces. I work in "batches" to be efficient. I will turn for several hours, then let those bowls dry, then sand for several hours, varnish, etc. Obviously I turn each piece all in one sitting to prevent cracking, but I've waited sometimes months to sand and varnish natural edge pieces that I let warp. The wood does get harder and more difficult to sand, but still finishes just as nice. Hope you get some turning time!! Make sure that burl is off the ground and covered up! And, lastly, STUDY! Education is important. Hope the semester is treating you well.

Curtis, everyone has different responsibilities, and each of us is at a different phase in our life. Several creekers are retired, but that doesn't always mean more time - sometimes quite the opposite! I am still working 25-35 hours/week, but my office is 5 minutes from home. We have sold all of our rental properties, sold our business, and have really concentrated on enjoying life. One never knows how much time the good Lord has given us! Depending on the season, I have most evenings to turn, and a three day weekend most weeks. During the summer - not as much as we have a small farm and there is always mowing and such to do.

Curt, I'd like to echo what John K. said. Start with an education and a good partner/spouse. Be lucky enough to have full support, and return that support. Acquire tools as finances and desires permit and use the tools when time allows. Add 45 years of marriage/partnership, curiosity, knowledge and experience (SMC..?) and take it to the shop/cubby/garage corner and do what you can when you can. You sound like a youngster, so tend to the family and education and the rest will follow. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so you've got plenty of time to be old and retired.

Curtis,

I am going to take e different angle as I have always been a rebel in the way that I do things. I started my first business when I was 19 and it was pretty successful and sold it when I was 28. What I will tell you is that school is just like any other job. If that is what you need to get where you want to go that is should be your primary priority in your life. However I also think that turning can also be your form of R&R. I don't get a lot of time at the lathe maybe 2 or 3 hours a week. Running my business having a young child takes up the majority of my days and is my life's priority, but when I have a free moment turning is my priority for my own sanity. Of course my spouse is very supportive as she understands how hard I work and understands it is a form of release for me.

A couple of hours a week is not that difficult to come by even as a full time student. I know when I started my first business I worked 60hrs a week and was a full time student and still could find an couple of hours to take my girlfriend to a movie. if it is something you want or need to do you will figure it out. It all boils down to how you manage and set priorities for your time. Of course if turning comes at the cost of your grades you know where your priorities need to be.

Good luck

Alan

Retired, no young kids at home, a wife that doesn't mind me spending time in the shop, etc. etc. I am glad I didn't become this addicted earlier. There were too many other far more important things that I might have been tempted to slight. It sounds like your priorities are in the right place for now. Good luck fitting in an hour or two when you can. With planning you may be able to make it happen!

I'm with you Curtis...as much as I love getting out in the shop, it doesn't happen nearly often enough. I've got 2 young kids, work and evening classes that all seem to compete for my time, and rightfully so! But I will say this, now that I've got a LITTLE experience under my belt, I'm having almost as much fun just planning projects and tool acquisitions/builds in my head. One day, I'll actually get to them, but until then, I'll take whatever turning time I can get...

It does not get any easier as we get older... finding turning time is hard. Good luck with school.

JP

Mine turning time comes in spurts. I've got two little ones, and my work schedule can be unpredictable at best. My secret... Over marry! My wife is a total stud, and she makes sure that I get a little turning time now and then... I get cranky if I go too long without a little 'me' time. I doubt anyone here has as much time to devote to the things they love as they'd like to have, but such is life!

Between college and a girlfriend and work
    See, there's your problem. A girlfriend and a hobby are nearly impossible to manage. Now if you had two girlfriends, you could tell each one you are going to see the other. Then you could go out to the shop and get something done.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    See, there's your problem. A girlfriend and a hobby are nearly impossible to manage. Now if you had two girlfriends, you could tell each one you are going to see the other. Then you could go out to the shop and get something done.
    TWO ? Lmao.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Hey Curtis good to hear from you. You've got your priorities straight and on the way to getting your education. That is what is important. I am retired and still don't have much time to turn.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

By the way Curtis.... I don't want to kick you while you are down, but why don't you let me have those burls, and I will give you 2 future draft choices for when you finally get time to turn..??