Thread: Turned leg tenons

Turned leg tenons

I'm working on a small nakashima-style bench and want to use turned round tenons to attach 2 tapered, turned legs at one end of the bench. I really just want to give turned tenons a try. I've researched some tips on turning perfect tenons and I'm pretty confident I can do that no problem. My question lies in attaching these legs to the bottom of my bench. Obviously I'll create a suitable mortise but I am wondering if that will provide enough stability to the joint or not. I have seen those round discs on the underside of pieces (even on some nakashima pieces) with 3-4 screws in them to mount legs. My question is how they are actually joined to the table. Is it worth me creating a mortise in the bottom of my bench or could I just create a disc, say 2"-3" in diameter and a few inches in thickness, then simply mortise that, glue in my leg tenon, then add screws around the disc?
    Another option I was thinking is somehow creating a stepped tenon, with the more narrow tenon being mortised into the bench bottom, and the wider portion just being mortised into a disc... then screws around the outside of the disc. Any suggestions? Or am I over thinking it and a simple mortise and tenon will do?
    The bench is about 5' x 2' x 1.625". The legs will be about 2" in diameter with a slight taper, and they'll be about 14" high. Thanks.

wedgie

When I made a couple Moser knock-offs, a quarter inch wedge at the top of the tapered leg held everything real snug. I think it's an age old technique on Windsor chairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those stools look pretty awesome, but for this instance I want to keep the tenons blind...