Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me about plywood please.....

Educate me about plywood please.....

I am in the design process for a new entertainment center for our livingroom. The LOML loves oak.

Yesterday while trying to find a new source of cabinet hardware locally, I stopped in at a local lumberyard. I quit shopping here over the last 2 years as due to the downturned economy, they were no longer open on Saturdays and close early each evening about the time the average DIYer gets off work. This lumberyard pretty much placed themselves in a situation to do business with contractors only.

They didn't have the hinges I was hoping to find locally but in a conversation with a friend who works there, he stated they had a limited supply of hardwood and hardwood plywood. He took me to the warehouse and showed me what they had.

On another note....they carry cherry and I could have gotten it 3 dollars cheaper per board foot than I paid ....and I didn't have to drive 30 miles each way to get it....

The 3/4" oak plywood they had was 5 layers...but the outer oak skins were at least or maybe slightly thicker than 1/8". Is that normal? Now he printed me a list of their offerings and it says it's 7 layer but I swear I could only see 5 and that outer two oak layers were over 1/8" thick. Is there hardwood plywood 5 layers with 1/8" hardwood on the outside or were my eyes failing me?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-09-2011 at 1:00 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Could there be two layers of veneer so thin that you can't see them?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't know Bruce and that's what confused me. Their warehouse isn't well lighted so I think when I go out later today, I'll swing by with my 13 bulb LED flashlight and take another look at it. I know the last stuff I bought at HD, the skin was so thin, I was afraid to look at it too long, let alone sand it.
    Ken

Some of the import plywood, sometimes has face veneer that is almost painted on. Any sanding will go through. Could be what you're looking at.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I agree--has to be a very thin face veneer. Even the good stuff I've bought doesn't have a face nearly as thick as what you describe. Also, ask where its made. If they can't show you or if its not made in the US/Canada--RUN!

The lumber yard by me that adopted that business hours scheme is now a feed and pond store. I heard the feed/pond store owners got a good price on the building at the bankruptcy auction. I frequently drove right by in the evenings and weekends to get to Lowes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Could there be two layers of veneer so thin that you can't see them?
    That's my guess as well. The oak veneer ply at the decent lumber yard I go to has very thin outer skins. Its easier to detect on the walnut ply as the color difference is so severe.

The really thin veneer makes for a bit of a finishing challenge. I recommend gel or dye. Penetrating finishes like oils can telegraph the glue patterns and underlying layer's "footballs", if any. Not a pleasant thing to find after your piece is assembled. Test your finish on a scrap of ply and once happy, match your solid wood to it. I sand the solid material to a high grit to minimize absorption and use multiple applications of dye to slowly deepen the hardwood color to match the ply.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-09-2011 at 3:08 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree on very thin veneer. I sanded through mine with a 220 hand sanding block. It started when I saw this discoloration I wanted to sand....... Then it got bigger and bigger....... Maybe I just should not have stared at it too long. LOL

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I am inclined to go along with the 'very thin' group. If the face veneer were 1/8" thick, it would split as the 1/8" top and bottom would expand and contract at a different rate than the plywood core.
    Now for the cherry......It is less expensive but is it of the same quality as the other place?

Beware, this type of plywood has veneer so thin you can sometimes literally see through it. Nothing is worse than building a project only to get the "wet t-shirt effect" when you apply finish. *** Witty yet questionable comment***

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I agree--has to be a very thin face veneer. Even the good stuff I've bought doesn't have a face nearly as thick as what you describe. Also, ask where its made. If they can't show you or if its not made in the US/Canada--RUN!
    I am pretty sure the stuff I have been using is from South America. It has been good stuff and plenty of face veneer that I did not worry about finish sanding it.

3/4" plywood with only 5 internal plys would not be my choice. If you can find any Baltic birch plywood it would be more stable and probably have less voids and overlaps than what you describe. Good Baltic birch has a high number of plys (I'll have to count them one day) and very few voids. If you can't find Baltic birch with the facing you want, you might try veneering it yourself.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The FSC certified, made in the USA plywood I purchase is 7 plies. 3 core layers of fir veneer. Sandwiched with mdf or similar manmade material. Then covered with the outer veneer layers that are ~1/16 thick.

I like it. Flat. Pretty good uniformity (for plywood). Almost entirely void free.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

The lighting in their warehouse left a lot to be desired. I think I'll take my 13 bulb LED flashlight with me tomorrow and look at it.
    Ken

Ken,
    If you can, pull a sheet or two and look at it in the sunlight. I bought some oak ply that looked good in the warehouse, but when I got it out in the sun, you could see through the thin veneer to glue layer. It had a pinkish cast to it and was visible in the pores of the oak.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Oak looks great on floors.