Thread: Knock Down Spray Booth Complete

Knock Down Spray Booth Complete

I've completed my knock down spray booth based loosely on Highland Hardware's plans. It is mostly built from materials I had around, with the exception of 3 sheets of Luan I had to buy for the top and sides. The fan is a 20" "8800 CFM" fan I found at Harbor Freight.

It seems to work well in tests with water in my spray gun. I just sprayed water in the air for a couple minutes and did get the floor damp "inside" the booth, but not outside The filters seemed to be wetter than the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That turned out great, Matt. It should really help with controlling that dried overspray that generally floats around the shop for awhile until it alights on everything. I know my air filter really gets a lot of it out of the air and it's only a drop in the bucket. This is a better solution...might have to build one, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt -

Great ideas in your booth. What are the filters - common HVAC houlsehold or something more elaborate?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Matt -

Great ideas in your booth. What are the filters - common HVAC houlsehold or something more elaborate?

Ted
    They are standard $4 (each) HVAC filters.

Matt.
    Are you venting the filtered air outside or are you recirculating it in the shop? I would be interested to know how it works. Looks like a good idea.
    Fred

Here's one more shot after I stored it away. The space on top of my office is perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fred LeBail
    Matt.
    Are you venting the filtered air outside or are you recirculating it in the shop? I would be interested to know how it works. Looks like a good idea.
    Fred
    The plan is that I will set it up in front of an open window and blow stuff outside.

Nice booth ! I learned my lesson back about a year ago when my knockdown plastic spray booth leaked and I got a light poly dusting on the Z06 corvette ! yeah that was a toughie to explain. I emailed the everyone on advice to get it off. but as luck would have it, keeping you cars well waxed will work wonders!

Keith

Nice booth, I'd definitely build one when the times come. Did you build a box that is housing the fan? I can't quite make it out, but looks like the back is actually quite deep, and I was wondering how you deal with the knock down nature of the booth.

Btw, does it matter what kind of fan to use? I was wondering if one needs a fan that's designed to not generate any sparks, for spraying oil based finishes.

William, take a look at Highland Hardware's article, which is what I based my booth on. I only plan to spray water-based finishes, so I used a store bought fan.