Thread: taper to thread adapter???

taper to thread adapter???

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but thought I'd ask you all before I give up. I've got an idea for a ring sanding setup that would require me to have a dead insert in my tailstock with standard threads, similar to what the headstock has, basically spinning the ring that needs to be sanded/flattened while sneaking up on it with the sanding disc on the tailstock. I figure this way I can be sure to have the disc pretty much parallel to the work piece. Is there such thing as a morse taper adapter that I can put into my tailstock, then attach a faceplate (1" 8 TPI) to??

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cannon View Post
    I may be looking for something that doesn't exist, but thought I'd ask you all before I give up. I've got an idea for a ring sanding setup that would require me to have a dead insert in my tailstock with standard threads, similar to what the headstock has, basically spinning the ring that needs to be sanded/flattened while sneaking up on it with the sanding disc on the tailstock. I figure this way I can be sure to have the disc pretty much parallel to the work piece. Is there such thing as a morse taper adapter that I can put into my tailstock, then attach a faceplate (1" 8 TPI) to??

Thanks!
    Dan
    Dan,

Yes, they are available. Look at Best Wood products. They sell a reversing chuck adapter that is usually used for centering a turning for the vacuum chuck while it is still in the scroll chuck. It sounds like it would be what you are looking for.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Craft Supplies carries them for about $30. Look for "Reverse Chucking Alignment Adapter."
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Craft Supplies carries them for about $30. Look for "Reverse Chucking Alignment Adapter."
    FYI, I think this is the one for alignment only, don't turn on the lathe
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Hi Dan;
    If you have the Oneway live centre then there is a Oneway adaptor to mount your regular chuck on the tailstock. The adaptor is available in a number of thread sizes OD and it has a 3/4-10 TPI on the inside to fit onto the live centre. This is much more flexible than the fixed adaptors that fit in the tailstock with a MT#2.
    If you make a couple of large round disks and cut little lines in the faces then hot glue your ring onto the disk and you can square it up on the lathe by tools/sanding or just sanding as you mention above.
    But, you can also use the adaptor to center a ring onto the bowl being held in the headstock. Apply glue and leave overnight to dry. The advantage is the live centre is live and will allow you to turn the ring and bowl to check it out as you set the glue joint.
    good luck.
    Peter F.

If I read the OP correctly, he wishes to mount a faceplace on the tailstock in a fixed and non-rotating configuration. If this was accomplished, then he could secure a ring to a revolving faceplate on the headstock, advance his fixed tailstock mounted faceplace with a sanding disk affixed and sand the ring. Usually we think of moving the sandpaper over a fixed piece, but this idea moves a workpiece over a fixed piece of sandpaper. Excellent idea Dan!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    If I read the OP correctly, he wishes to mount a faceplace on the tailstock in a fixed and non-rotating configuration. If this was accomplished, then he could secure a ring to a revolving faceplate on the headstock, advance his fixed tailstock mounted faceplace with a sanding disk affixed and sand the ring. Usually we think of moving the sandpaper over a fixed piece, but this idea moves a workpiece over a fixed piece of sandpaper. Excellent idea Dan!
    This is exactly right, I just couldn't word it so eloquently, thanks Jon. It sounds like the suggestions above may very well get me to where I'd like to be, so I have some web surfing to do now. I've still got some hope with the idea then! Maybe I'm over complicating it, but to me it seems like this could be a good way to get a nice flat work piece with using mostly tools I already have. Thanks to all, I'm off to do some searching....

Dan

Just a thought, could use a morse taper work arbor, which I think has 1/2" threads, and make a faceplate out of wood to match that threading, Don't see why you would have to match the thread of the headstock.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Pen State Industries has one that is live. I have it and it is well made. I use it for reversing bowls.
    Fred

I believe the live center that Fred is referring to has a hole through the shaft to keep the center from spinning. It is meant to be used when you screw or unscrew the cone shaped adapter on it. You could use that to effectively make it a dead center. Without the cone, it probably has a 3/4" x 10 thread. You can buy an adapter with matching inside thread and any outside thread you want.
    faust

Roger, the "one piece" adapter at Best Wood is perfect, and can accept actual load from turning rather than just being used for alignment. Tom, that's actually a pretty good idea, depending on what my finances will allow with a ready made adapter. Fred and Faust, I'm going to double check if that one at PSI can be locked from spinning, if so, it is less expensive and possibly more versatile than the one at Best Wood, although theirs looks very robust. Thanks again everyone, with all this help I'm pretty sure I'll be able to give this a shot over the weekend!

Dan

Why not a jacobs chuck adapter (about $10 at Harbor freight) and a standard sanding disk arbor?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).