Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do bandsaw tables tilt AWAY from the fence?

Why do bandsaw tables tilt AWAY from the fence?

Can someone explain why bandsaw tables tilt away from the fence? It makes it so that constant and extreme vigilance is required to keep the piece from coming off the fence. It seem so much more natural for the table to tilt so the piece naturally lays on the fence.

Is it just for capacity?

John. Capacity would be my guess. If the table tilted toward the fence (assuming the fence is between the blade and the frame) the distance between the wheels would have to increase to allow the table to tilt in that direction. Not sure if that would cause heart burn in the design of the saw our not but that is my guess as to the tilt direction. One solution would be to move the blade to the outside of the blade but there again you would limit your capacity.

The table's already at the bottom of the cutting opening. If it tilted down to the left, it would hit the lower wheel. Tilting up to the left doesn't pose the same issue.

If they made the pivot of the table to the left, then the right of the table could lift up without causing the left to dip down, and there wouldn't be the same problem. But then I guess the stability of the table might suffer.

Are there ramp type jigs that'll do what you want?

Well, I don't do it often, and when I do I just clamp a piece of MDF down, or if the work is flexible I just misuse he back of my fence (to the right of the blade). It was just idle curiosity that got me wondering. I didn't think of the fence bumping into the wheel.

Blog Entries
    The explanations by previous posters are correct. However, if you have a Kreg or FastTrack style fence it can be switched form right to left so the blade is to the left of the fence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Can someone explain why bandsaw tables tilt away from the fence? It makes it so that constant and extreme vigilance is required to keep the piece from coming off the fence. It seem so much more natural for the table to tilt so the piece naturally lays on the fence.

Is it just for capacity?
    Well John, that depends upon whether you put the fence on the left or right side of the blade.

If I can I put the fence on the right when ripping bevels for the reason you stated......Regards, Rod.

Funny enough, if you look in the other bandsaw fence thread, I mention that I'm going to pick up a Kreg today. What a coinkydink

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Well John, that depends upon whether you put the fence on the left or right side of the blade.

If I can I put the fence on the right when ripping bevels for the reason you stated......Regards, Rod.
    My current fence has a bump to the left that makes it supremely inconvenient to do this. In fact, I'll say that the entire fence assembly on the G0514X2 (Grizzly's 19") is extremely poorly designed and does not belong on what's otherwise a fine saw. There's no drift adjustment (at least none that I've ever found), and the lock handle is offset to the right of the fence, so it's incredibly difficult to align the blade to the workpiece and lock it down because the work is in the way! It's just bizarre. The drift adjustment is no biggie as my blades never seem to drift for whatever reason. The lock handle location is a source of constant frustration, and that's reason #2 for switching to the Kreg.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.

It used to be many bandsaw fence rails were long extending well past the table to the right of the blade and the tables were proportionally wider as well with more "meat" on the right side of the blade. I assume since a lot of people never tilt a bandsaw table along with cost savings and size, especially in saws marketed to the hobbyists, has given us cheaper more compact saws.

Who says the fence needs to be to the left of the blade?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think your question is somewhat specific to the fence on your saw. Most often for cuts with the table tilted, I use a clamp on edge guide as a fence on the right of the band. Works great and provides a ledge for the workpiece.

Blog Entries
    I do as Pete does.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well John, that certainly changes things doesn't it?

As always, the devil is in the details..........Regards, Rod.

Is it just for capacity?
    My current fence has a bump to the left that makes it supremely inconvenient to do this. In fact, I'll say that the entire fence assembly on the G0514X2 (Grizzly's 19") is extremely poorly designed and does not belong on what's otherwise a fine saw.
    John, there is technology to hold the workpiece upward against the BS fence on a wrongly-tilted table, BUT the Galactic Federation has issued an Edict prohibiting the use of Tractor Beam power on any machine smaller than an Enterprise-class Starship. Sorry! C-clamps and MDF will have to suffice for now. You admit you don't do this very often, anyhow!

Real answer? Could it be because Grizzly (and others) want to sell you a better bandsaw fence? There is a specialized aftermarket accessory for every occasion yanno!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

How about a variable vacuum fence, adjust it so it just "floats" the piece against the fence. That is what we had on the Enterprise.