Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt MBF Radial Arm Saw Considerations

Hi Bob, welcome to the Creek. I am like you, I have a SCMS with about a 12" cut. It is a good saw. However, it is not as accurate as I would like. A while back I purchased a 1957 Dewalt 10" GWI RAS. I want to install new bearings, etc. Then, not long after, a 14" Original Saw Co (same as Dewalt, in fact the motor says Dewalt) RAS came along that I could not resist. I am going to use both. The 14" will be for 90's only, and the 10" will be for everything else. The SCMS mobile

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Layton; 02-11-2011 at 1:34 PM.

350 is a bit high in my book unless its already been rebuilt. Even a saw that has seen very little use will need bearings if they are original. I had the chance to pick up a 40a but passed on it for a delta 30c. Before that I had an MBF and that one was a 25 dollar special. The MBF is a sweet little saw but it is a bit underpowered. My current 30c is a 2hp saw and it does just fine. The redstars are 1.5hp in single phase and 2hp in 3 phase for the 40a models. Delta bought out redstar in the 50's just like AMF bought out Dewalt, and neither made any significant changes for a few years. Either manufacturer would be a good bet to go with.

3/4hp is enough power to do anything you want to do. I grew up learning woodworking with my father on his 3/4hp Delta 10" turret arm RAS. I would be much more concerned about the 9" blade capacity limit. I would hole out for a 10" model.

The center of my shop is a Redstar 50a 16" 7.5hp RAS. I am unable to complete any cuts on this saw without developing a huge grin on my face!... even after owning it for many years.

I'll put my MDF up against any SCMS. Most accurate saw I've ever owned.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night