Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt MBF Radial Arm Saw Considerations

Dewalt MBF Radial Arm Saw Considerations

Hi,

There's a 1950's Dewalt MBF 9" RAS for sale that I'm considering. I'm in the process of setting up my workshop and originally had no plans to include a RAS. I was intending on using my Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw for cross-cutting and miter cuts. But, that saw's cross-cutting capacity is only about 11". Though I'm not sure that the Dewalt MBF cross-cutting capacity will be much more. I will have a cross-cutting bench along a 17' long wall with the SCMS sitting on a built-in recess. The end of this cross-cutting bench will have hatch door opening into the garage area of the barn. The hatch can be opened for cutting long stock. There's plenty of room on this cross-cutting bench to have another built-in recess for the RAS, so this would be one of the few instances where I would not need to consider the space that would be required to fit in a new tool.

Aside from being able to cut somewhat longer cross-cuts on the RAS compared to the SCMS, the other advantage of the RAS for my purposes would be for cross-cutting dados using a stacked dado. I'd much rather cross-cut dados on long stock on a RAS then my tablesaw. But, using a router with a guide is another, safer option than the tablesaw.

My web research indicates the old Dewalt MBF's, while only 3/4 HP, are great little machines and highly accurate if properly tuned. The strongpoint seems to be highly accurate crosscuts. Some users recommend dialing in the saw for 90 degree cross-cuts and then not rotating the saw on the column for cutting miters, but instead using a miter sled or jig. The idea is to not jeopardize the accuracy of the 90 degree setting by rotating the saw on the column. Mark Duginske seems to favor this approach.

Anyway, I have a number of questions that you guys may be able to answer:

1. Is this RAS with a 3/4 HP motor underpowered for cutting dados in hardwood with, say, a 3/4" dado stack?

2. Does anyone know the approximate cross-cutting capacity of a Dewalt MBF RAS (12", 15", 18"?).

3. Should I wait until a larger, more powerful Dewalt RAS comes along, maybe something like a GP model?

4. Or, should I just forget the RAS and cut dados with my table saw with a cross-cut sled or with a router and guide for long stock?

The asking price for the Dewalt is reasonable, so cost isn't an issue. But, the saw is a 3 hour round-trip drive away, so I don't want to make this trip unless I'm seriously interested in buying the saw.

Thanks for your input.

Bob

Gimme' a couple weeks to install the new bearings, the new power cords, the anti-kickback pawls, and the Forrest WWII and stiffener in my 1956 MBF, and I'll let you know

The saw that he has found probably won't be available in a couple of weeks.

I have the saw you are asking about. It's a powerful little saw that has no problems cutting 1/2 dadoes. Can't speak on the 3/4 inch you were asking about because I move the stock to get the exact size I need. If you are planning on cutting wide panels it is probably not the saw for you. If it is less than 100 bucks and in good mechanical condition buy it. Get a bigger one later if you want. You shouldn't spend more than a 100 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pettit View Post
    The saw that he has found probably won't be available in a couple of weeks.
    True enough.

In my relatively small town, though, RASs -- even DeWalts -- even MBFs -- DO come up, from time to time.

Luckily

That is lucky. Around here it is only craftsman.

I have the same saw (1957) and I also bought the Mr. Sawdust book (very helpful. If you buy the saw, I have an extra copy (bought) of the owners manuals of Dewalt RAS and I will send it to you if you want (free).

Rick,

Can you tell me the cross-cutting capacity of your MBF?

Thanks.

Bob

The seller of mine called it 15" crosscut capacity.

I think that's accurate.

I have a 1958 Dewalt MBF 9" RAS. Cross cut capacity is about 13". Make sure you use a blade with a negative or zero degree hook angle. A blade with a positive hook angle wants to pull forward during the cut and stall. Dado stacks even more so. I got my saw very cheap at a yard sale ($20). I often see them listed on CL with asking prices up to $200. If I had to buy the saw again I would probably buy a modern miter saw or table saw that had better dust control.

13 inches is about right. Not a problem when working with lumber. If you are breaking down sheet goods you will be buying something larger. But like I said for 100 or less you probably will never want to sell it. It is an accurate saw.

Thanks for your input, guys.

I've decided to pass on this saw for a number of reasons. The primarily one is the limited cross-cutting capability. I checked my Makita SCMS and it's capacity is about 12.5", and it's fairly accurate. So, gaining an inch or so with the MBF is not much of an increase. The other reasons are it's a long drive to pickup it up, and I really should focus on getting my shop functional and start making things before I start collecting tools that are not essential. Dewalt made enough of these saws that the opportunity to buy a decent one in the future is reasonably good. After I've been building things for a while, I'll have a better idea of what tools would be most useful. If a RAS is in my future, I may decide to buy one of the larger old Dewalts, like a GP model.

Garth, thanks for the offer to send me a copy of the owner's manual. Much appreciated, but save it for the next guy buying an MBF.

Bob

A guy has a real ras for sale locally. A pre rockwell red star 40a. It is taking everything I have not to go and buy this saw. I really don't need it.

A guy has a real ras for sale locally. A pre rockwell red star 40a. It is taking everything I have not to go and buy this saw. I really don't need it.
    I'm no help.

Which are you likely to regret more, or at all -- buying it or not buying it ?

I don't have an SCMS -- just a CMS. I'll double my crosscut capacities once my MBF is road-worthy.

And ... being winter ... I could use a project.

But one thing I'm pretty sure of: mine has depreciated just about all it ever will. If I throw new bearings, a blade, a stiffener, anti-kickback pawls, and new electrical cords on it ... I'm just about sure I'll be able to get my money back ... if not more ... at any time in the future.

So ... if the cash isn't THAT much of an issue ... can you lose ?

It is a little high at 350. But that doesn't really concern me because it is in great shape. All I have to do is plug it in and use it. The problem is the using it part. No doubt I would not regret buying it but I really don't need it. Having said that I still may buy it. In a way I hope if I wait long enough someone else will but if it sits for another week or so I'll probably own it.

It is a little high at 350. But that doesn't really concern me because it is in great shape. All I have to do is plug it in and use it. The problem is the using it part. No doubt I would not regret buying it but I really don't need it. Having said that I still may buy it. In a way I hope if I wait long enough someone else will but if it sits for another week or so I'll probably own it.
    I understand.

I've watched MANY an ad, where ... I just prayed for the darned thing to go away

About a dozen different Unisaws, and ... currently ... a 60,000 btu Modine Hot Dawg garage heater !