Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the World's best saw set?

Is this the World's best saw set?

This is a saw set I have,and have not found another like it. It is nickel plated,with a Brazilian rosewood handle.

It is capable of setting VERY small teeth,which is one reason I like it so much. Laid up against the setting hammer is a rather thin piece of spring steel that can be adjusted to lie against it,or to be any distance away from it that you might need it to be. It can also be adjusted as close to the tip of the hammer as necessary.

A great deal of use by me has not produced the slightest sign of peening or wear on the hammer.

Overall,it is made extremely well,much like a surgical tool. It is quite weighty for a rather slender tool. Overall length is about 9"

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-10-2011 at 4:19 PM.

That is sweet! I saw a saw set like this in a museum and it was used to set surgical saws used in field amputations.

George
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

George - is that another one of your kutztown flea market finds?

Can't recall. I found the missing picture and added it. This new format is not very handy!!!!

I'm not surprised it is surgical. I thought it seemed so due to the very high quality. Probably the plating is to keep blood from etching the metal. I can easily set 20 TPI with it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-10-2011 at 4:15 PM.

That is it!! I hadn't bothered to research it. I should have. The computer is a wonderful tool!! Well,the ad doesn't say it's surgical,but it is certainly of the required quality. Only $1.00???? Things have changed,haven't they? I can't believe they could make and sell this tool for $1.00 even at that time. It has a lot of parts on it,and the steel is of very high quality to have not shown wear yet.

Apparently about 1912. This saw set certainly outshines any other I've seen in quality and versatility. Not that I'm a saw set expert or collector. I just buy tools to use.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-10-2011 at 4:42 PM.

I might add that this saw set has much greater leverage than any other I have used. Jon and I had bleeding hands from setting so many saws we made at Williamsburg. This set would have been handy at that time.

I had also gone later to using a set driven into a small stump,which you could strike with a hammer. Those are fairly common. I could set a saw pretty quickly with one of those.

For very small teeth,you can't beat this one,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-10-2011 at 4:43 PM.

Wow...Rockfall is less than an hour from here. Like everyone else in this area it seems, Otis Smith made guns I don't know much about saw sets, but I do know a bit about guns...

I've been looking for a good saw set. I'll keep my eye out for one of those.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-10-2011 at 4:52 PM.

Is the little piece of spring steel used to index to the next tooth?

The answer is yes. It does measure off the last tooth and set the hammer in the center of the tooth you are setting. Maybe the hammer should be called the anvil,but I'm calling it the hammer,since it comes down against a stationary steel part,which,to me,should be the anvil. I'm not a saw set expert,though,as I have said.

I did research it after Lowell posted the old ad. This saw setter is definitely of gun like quality. Since it is plated,too,I can also see that it would have been the best tool out there for setting surgical saws,too. Especially if they had smallish teeth.

Funny,in my numerous travels,I never ran into another such saw set.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-10-2011 at 5:47 PM.

George, I'll give you double the retail price.....I'll pay $2 and even spring for the shipping.
    No kidding, that's a nice tool, thanks for showing it.

Even more remarkable,the maker apparently paid the shipping for the $1.00.

That was back when

To : John Smith in Kendall County

Probably sufficed for address.

George, what do you think of this type of set?

Pam

Pam,
    This looks like a WWII British Commando knife blade that has been modified to a wire stripper for various diameter wires. Tip ground to a split nut profile. Adjustable guard... ??