Thread: OK... I've Had my 3520B For A Number of Months Now...

OK... I've Had my 3520B For A Number of Months Now...

One thing that irritates me is that at high speed, the cooled air from the motor blows back on me.. How are you guys taking care of that...?

Other than that and the crack in my tool rest which is irritating, I love this thing... I would return the rest for an exchange but I'm not the orig owner. It looks as if the casting cracked at the factory and was repaired. This produces a slight lip at the tool rest edge and makes it hard to get a smooth slide of the tool...

I'm either gonna toss it and get a new one (probably a robust) or try to file it smooth...

It's big, it's beefy, and it's powerful...

Thanks for listening.
    :-)

Post a pic of the crack. Grind file and smooth it out. Those tool rests are a beast and should take a lot of altering without any problems. I use a barrel fan over my lathe to blow the sanding dust down and away from my face. You could use a fan to counter act the motor fan by blowing the air in the opposite direction.

Joe, With everything else about the lathe that you love it only take one thing wrong to really bug you doesn't it. I know exactly where you are coming from. Ya spend that much money and get an inferior tool rest :-((((( Have you called the manufacturer and told them about the tool rest. I suspect they would send you a new one at no charge. The only thing I can think to do regarding the cold air blast is to tape a piece of cardboard somehow to deflect the air from you as you turn.

PS - If the tool rest is indeed cracked and they welded it I don't think I would even use it. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. The unbelievable force applied to your tool by the downward spinning of the turning puts huge strain on the faulty area.

Blog Entries
    First, he bought it USED!

I Doubt very much that the Factory welded it and sent it on it's way.

They'd toss it back in the furnace and recast it.

Most likely the Previous owner Broke it and either welded it or had it welded.

OR, could it just be a casting seam that a Quick rub with a File would easily smooth out?

You do need to file knicks and dents out of tool rests as routine upkeep to keep your tools sliding smoothly across the tool rest.

But a few Aftermarket tool rests are a Nice addition/upgrade to any lathe.

Next, if it is a 3520B, with how GOOD Powermatics Customer Service IS, I would believe they would just replace it for him pro bono. (They have been Known to do just that with out of warranty 3520's several times in the past.)
    They have one of the Best customer service reputations out there. Call them.

The fan bothers you? GOOD, Put ON a Face Sheild! Like you are Supposed to wear.
    EASY FIX.

Add some dust collection also.

At high speeds it could also be the Wood spinning thats causing some air flow?
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

What Scott said. Max

The Robust tool rests would be a serious up grade from the stock cast one. Straight and curved bowl rests.

robo hippy

Its a 3520B, it should have a 5 year warranty on it. I really can't imagine this being out of warranty already even if it was purchased used.

Face shield is a definite requirement.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Good advise on the face shield... for the most part, right now I'm turning pens...

I've chucked up a few bowls and use the face shield then. To block the wind, I've been putting a towel next to the vents where the wind comes out... that works but just seems klugy on a lathe that sells for over $3K... but we gots what we gots...

On balance, I love the thing and so does my 11 year old daughter. I look forward to watching her make stuff.

Thanks
    Joe

I'd just file the tool rest flat and smooth it out. I run a smooth file over my tools rests about every month and wax them to keep them slick. That little bit of maintenance makes any sliding movement silky smooth.
    I also have the 3520B and can't say as I notice the air coming from the motor. If it is, I must like it or it's blowing the chips away from me or something.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I haven't noticed the breeze with mine either. Of course, I'm still novice enough that I have a lot to focus on while I turn!

I haven't noticed the breeze, but my dust collector generates more airflow than the blower on my motor. +1 on the file idea for smoothing the tool rest.

The air blowing back at you is also blowing over the length of the motor keeping it cool by design. Here in South Texas the breeze is welcome....There are tons of aftermarket tool rest out there.