Thread: Benchtop Router-Help making decison.

Benchtop Router-Help making decison.

I want to purchase a temporary benchtop router table which would be used until and sold when I have enough funds to purchase a woodpecker bakelite top with woodpecker router lift and build my own router cabinet.

A) Kreg 148070
    Cons: No miter gauge provided

B) Benchdog 40-001
    Cons: No miter gauge provided

C) Porter Cable
    Miter gauge provided
    Cons: Not as well reviewed as A and B

D) Router table extension on my Delta 34-444
    Something with a 200.00 price tag, maybe Benchdog, but does Kreg make this too?

If you are looking for short term and economical why not build an extension for your table saw depedsing on how you build and equip it you are probably between $50 and $150.

I'm using a piece of 3/4 plywood clampled to a pair of sawhorses. I drilled the pattern for my router base and bought (4) 1" screws to match my base. Used a 3/8 spade bit to counterbore for the pan heads and then the biggest spade I have for the center hole. The fence is a piece of stock and 2 more c-clamps. If you want temporary, this could be free from stuff you have laying around.

I liked my porter cable that few times I used it before purchasing a shaper. I would bet it is something you could find a deal on used.

Peach Tree USA had a deal a while back and I got a router table wing. (Rock Solid Cast Iron Router Wing http://www.ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm toward the bottom.) It was a great deal back then, now @ 229 its a little steep. For a fence I just use my Table Saw fence. When I get into panel bits and stuff I drop an expendable fence with a gap on it for chip collection.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Take two 3/4" pieces of MDF, glue them together, cut the hole with a ledge for the insert plate.
    Afterward, build a cabinet for it. Why spend bunches of bucks when you can make a better one?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Afterward, build a cabinet for it. Why spend bunches of bucks when you can make a better one?
    That's pretty much what I did...kinda....sorta...
    I got a good deal on a Rockler #1 table w/an aluminum plate that was pre drilled for my Freud 1700 - $99.00.
    That was so close to what I would have paid in materials I had to buy it. The plate alone was $60.00.

Re: buy vs build.
    Some people just don't enjoy building things for the shop. They'd rather build other things.
    To each their own I guess.