Thread: Walnut Slab Coffee Table

Walnut Slab Coffee Table

This project started in the grove on my farm. I harvested several trees that were near the end of their lives and kept a walnut crotch and some cherry for myself. The slabs were too big for my machine tools, so most of the work was with hand tools. The slabs were 12/4 when sawn and distorted a lot during drying. So by the time they were flat, they ended up about 1-1/2" thick. There is a slide show of some of the construction details at:

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

[img][/img]

That's some beautiful wood there, Mark, and a gorgeous piece of furniture. Can you share what you used to finish it?

Mark, that is a beautiful piece of furniture! Thanks for documenting the process.
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Mark, that's a very attractive table you've made. I'm of two minds about benefits of using hand tools vs machines. Perhaps you did yourself a big favour in this case, just based on the future stability of the table. By progressively working the slabs to thickness, they would be acclimating and relieving internal stresses. I don't know what your elapse time was in thicknessing, but it must have been considerable and laborious. I think the speed of processing has a lot to do with the final outcome on special pieces like this.
    I've never attempted anything like this but your outcome is surely inspirational.

Mark,

Your coffee table looks great. How long did it take for the wood to dry, and what type of finish did you use?

Nice work on the walnut for the table top Mark. At 1 1/2" it sure has some heft.
    Having the wood born and raised on your farm sure adds to the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    Can you share what you used to finish it?
    This sounds more complicated than it is. It's a Jeff Jewitt formula, and I've used it for years with good results:

1) golden brown Transtint dye (1/2 oz : 1qt water which is 1/2 the normal concentration)
    2) garnet shellac (2# cut)
    3) home-made glaze (1/4 C BLO + 1/4 C gel varnish + artists oils: 1/2 t vandyke brown, 1/2 t burnt umber, 1/4 t deep azo red) brush on, wipe off.
    4) Waterlox - 6 thin coats wiped

Very nice! I really like pieces that include what some would think of as defects in the wood.

Your table has a very "organic" look reminiscent of Nakashima.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    How long did it take for the wood to dry, and what type of finish did you use?
    The guy who sawed the log dried it in a kiln he made out of a tractor trailer. It was a forced hot air (no steam) system. It took several months and the wood was allegedly 8% MC when it came out of the kiln. These pieces then sat stickered in my shop for a couple years.

(See other reply for finishing schedule.)

Mark, I really, really like that piece. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very handsome table.

Very well done!! Love the wood and your joints!!!
    Jerry

Perfect spot for it. The walnut matches everything just right. And nice choice of lumber. Very nice.

That's awesome! I love this type of work... I could stare at this all day long! Great work!