Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a gloat and a question and some pictures, long

a gloat and a question and some pictures, long

There is a little bit of a story to this deal. The last two winters a young, age 10, boy from our small town has personally called me and asked if he could ride his snowmobile on some of our property. I thought if he had it together enough and had the decency enough to ask I would let him. A week ago his dad called and said he had some wood that he had to get rid of and was wondering if I was interested. He said he had some walnut, oak and maple. He said I had been nice to his son, had found out that I did a lot of woodwork and thought I might like to have the wood. They had sold their house, he had moved the wood 4 times and had not touched it in that amount of time and it had to go, he also wondered if I was interested in any tools. So I went to look at the wood and there was probably 2 pickup loads of nice stuff, walnut, oak and a little maple. He said that he and his dad had collected it over the years, the dad had died and he did not have time to work with it. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said just come and get it whenever it was convenient. So then we went to look at the tools. Same story, he didnt have time to use them, was tired of moving them and make an offer. We arrived at the price of $1000 and he hauled all it to my garage in his cargo trailer. I got a Delta 22-660 13 in planer, an older 6x48 delta sander, a 6 in Delta jointer with cast iron stand, a newer Delta P-20 scroll saw, a real nice older craftsman drill press, a dust collector that had barely been used, an older delta school type lathe with tools, a 1" x 42 in Delta belt sander, a couple of tubs of misc, including 2 dado sets, mortise chisels, 4 full rolls of hook and loop sandpaper for a timesaver sander and the 2 pickup loads of lumber. I will sell some of my own stuff, 2 bench top planers and a 6x48 belt sander, and a mini lathe and replace it with this. I still cant believe that I got a deal like this. I guess everyone is happy though and I told the guy I would make something for him out of the walnut. The question I have is that the belt sander has a blower fastened to it that will function as a dust collector, I just have to find a bag to put on it to catch the dust. If I remember right the blower says "Hurricane" on it, not Delta. Has any one ever seen something like this? It is pictured in the last photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible. Your neighbor is a saint. Enjoy making sawdust.

I would start looking at some older floor sanders

Blog Entries
    you suck, nice gloat

Wow! What a deal. BTW You Suck. :-)

Blog Entries
    Fantastic score and you do indeed, SUCK!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would think you could just take the blower off and hook the sander to the dust collector.

I will probably do that but I just was wondering what kind of a set up this was. Jared

That blower looks a lot like the old "Cadillac" blowers used for portable vacuum cleaners. Solid metal construction and will last for ever, real screamers though and everything goes right through the impeller. Don't suck up a nail or screw. DAMHIKT. The jointer is a real honey with that deco style stand. The guys over on the "OWWM" forum would love to have it.
    Gentleman Jim

Karma works wonders. Great gloat.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

You suck! Nice haul and I always love the cast iron art deco Delta stands that alone is worth 200-250.

I for one don't think that just a You Suck is good enough for this one.

It more like YOU SUCK BIG TIME

That is a good find and the big thing is you are both happy. What goes around comes around.

Hey, nice score. I Love them old c-man drillpresses- I've seen the old blower collectors before, just never really paid much attention. If you need a bag- pretty sure they still make that style DC - Thought I saw one at the china freight ? Otherwise just make your own.
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Found this on blowers for the Delta sander.......http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1872.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Wow. Unbelievable haul. Have fun setting them all up and making shavings, dust, and chips!
    I drink, therefore I am.