Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just was in the ER for a...

Just was in the ER for a...

splinter. A stupid splinter. It was long and deep, and broke off under the skin so that we couldn't even see it. Some local anesthetic, some cutting with a scalpel, one tourniquet (believe it or not), and an x-ray later, she found it and got it out.

How ridiculous is that? No stitches ( risk of infection too high). That would have been the final touch.

John....watch that finger for infection!

3 years ago on my birthday I was turning a bowl from a gifted blank from a guy in Houston. I ended up with a splinter in my finger. The next day I had to go to the ER.

I ended up in the ER 3 days in a row...they left an needle in my hand and each day I got IV antibiotics.

Watch it closely!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-13-2011 at 6:57 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I had blood poisoning from a poke on the wrist from a thorned plant in the yard once. Don't feel foolish, infections are serious business. Glad you're OK.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

well come on dude...this is a real ER visit...be careful, stay focused

4 hr surgery, 6 months of rehab

...and still crank out the product!

plantasymaderas punto com

since 1997

http://www.plantasymaderasgardenbenc...-to-edit3.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Crain; 02-13-2011 at 6:54 PM.

You know John you could get the new Splinter Stop for only $999.99.

Well I am glad they got the thing out, what kind of wood was it?

Ouch - I hate those things - especially soft wood. Glad all is well now.

Take good care of it...

I hope that it is better as a splinter can really hurt.

And yes, I softwwood splinter is much worse and harder to get out. I had one from some plywood that I ended up using needle nose pliers and a razor knife. That was a lot of years ago. I am paranoid now about infections about such things as I have some implants and they make me take antibiotics to even go to the dentist.

Well, I consider myself lucky then ... I had a good sized one on my left hand, me being left handed had to rely on LOML to extract it. I am sure she inflicted the pain intentionally!!!

It was just comical. My wife and I were laughing as she brought out more and more stuff, and then announced that an x-ray was in order. LOL.

Please come up with a different story for your guy friends ... a simple splinter is just embarrassing !!!!! hahahahahahahha

As several others have said, that could be quite serious. Infections can come out of no where and cause unimaginable damage. I heard of a guy who had a simple blemish on his backside...he woke up a few days later and had to be rushed to the ER. His entire mid-section was black. It turned out to be a life-threatening staph infection. He was rushed into surgery and lost his genitals. Doctors said they could actually see the infection spreading as they were operating. Scary stuff...!

It seems trivial, but not always. We're glad you are okay, John. Also, thanks for the reminder that we need to constantly keep an eye on safety.

Hey it's no joke and if you cannot get it then the ER it is!

When I worked in commercial building I got a splinter shoved under my thumbnail and my boss could not get it out. Well off to the ER and the doc had to cut a "window" in my fingernail to get it out. Pretty odd as my fingernail grew out but did the trick and cannot tell today.

Aloha, Pete
    I've never been poor only broke. Poor is a state of mind, broke is a temporary situation.

I blame Home Depot. I got it on a piece that they had just cut for me on their panel saw. They really should sharpen their blade, oh I don't know, once a decade or so. They were all out of splinter outs, so I was kind of out of luck there too, not that it would have helped. Shoot, it occurs to me that I could probably sue HD if I really wanted to. What a world we live in! I wonder if anyone has ever really sued them for a splinter? I wouldn't know how to reliably look this up. Maybe one of our lawyer members can look this up. You know they shut down the Dunkin Donuts that was in the HD. I walk in today and it's gone...poof. If anything, I like to sue them to bring Dunkins back.

Anyway, yes yes I'm taking good care of it and I'm taking anti-biotics I can't wait to see the statement from my insurance company with the cost. It was quite a production!

There is something very satisfying about seeing a small splinter that buried itself in you weeks ago finally grow out of you and surface surrounded by dead skin. If only, I could predict which splinters are going to behave this way.

Sorry about your owie, John. Hope it heals well. Must have been a slow day at the ER, otherwise you would still be waiting.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra