Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Planer / tearout

Angry Delta Planer / tearout

Help me out.

Problem 1) Tearout.

THis is my first real chance to use my new Delta Thickness planer and i'm getting tearout (dips/tears along the face of the board) -- at least that's what i call it. I just bought 3 exotic hardwoods (yellowheart, granadillo and wenge) for project. On the granadillo i'm getting tearout and i've tried taking off 1/64th" at a time and running the planer (the two speed 12" delta model 22-580) on the finish setting (90 cuts/inch).

What am i doing wrong? Blades should be sharp as it's brand new. I've run some pine and the yellow heart through it and they look great. Haven't tried the wenge. The other odd thing is i ran this wood over my old, heavily used sears jointer (recently inherited from my dad...sat idle for the past 10 years). The wood finish looks better (no tearout) from the jointer than the planer -> i'm really confused. Any ideas?

Problem 2:

When i run the yellow heart through, the wheels don't seem to want to push the wood through -- it'll stop at a couple spots along the way. What typically causes this?

Any help the forum can provide is appreciated...like i said, it's a new planer and i was pretty psyched about this project but sure didn't expect to run into this.

Bob C

Bob

I don't have any experience with the woods you mentioned, but a couple things you might try:

1) Turn the wood around, you might be planing into the grain

2) Feed the stock at an angle (if not too wide)

3) Slightly dampen the pre-planed surface

4) Find some REALLY sharp HSS knives and use them only on the tough woods

5) Keep the beds as slick as possible. I like Bri-Wax, but there are others.

If none of the above work, get a #4 1/2 and start hanging with the Neandertals.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Two things, the first thing to check on the tearout is the grain of the wood. If you're getting tearout, try running it through the planer the other direction. As for the wheels stalling, if the lumber is rough, you're are probably getting to a point where the board is thicker than at other spots. Try running the board through at a hit and miss setting first.

Bob -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Ditto all of Michael's comments. My bet is you are planing "against" the grain.

Make sure the rollers are clean. Wipe them with denatured alcohol to get the gunk off from previous feeds pf wood through the planer.

Ted

OK, great. Well i sure hope that's the problem (going against the grain ... seems to fit my personality). Tomorrow i'll try it from both directions and wipe down the rollers.

Now i do notice that some of the worst tear-out is in areas where the grain swirls or kind of 'bird's eye's if you know what i mean. Seems like in that case there is no real w/the grain. What do you do in those cases?

How much do you guys plane off in a single pass when dealing w/pretty hard wood?

One other question for you. Michael bring up 'really sharp knives'. Can you give me some suggestions? Are the stock knives just sorta sharp? I guess i was thinking that they would be pretty sharp just may not hold an edge as long as something better than stock.

Bob, I just bought one of those planers a few months ago and the blades were sharp right out of the box and stayed sharp quite a long time. I've not used any of those woods, but grain direction is the usual culprit for tearout. Oak is particularly bad because it is a somewhat brittle wood and has a lot of grain reversal. The ideas you've gotten are all good as is handplaning and scraping to get a smooth surface.
    Dennis

Hi Bob - Welcome to the forum. One thing I didn't notice mentioned so far is DC. If you're not using any DC on the planer, you're more likely to get some tear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper
    Now i do notice that some of the worst tear-out is in areas where the grain swirls or kind of 'bird's eye's if you know what i mean. Seems like in that case there is no real w/the grain. What do you do in those cases?

How much do you guys plane off in a single pass when dealing w/pretty hard wood?
    Bob -

Moisten the areas where the grain swirls. It will help a little. And take extremely light cuts - just barely make a cut when you get close to thickness.

Good luck,
    Ted

Ditto on the dust collector. Sometimes the "tearout" is actually impressions made by wood left on the rollers. I have the same problem with my Delta. A dust collector helps, but does not completely solve the problem. But it's not so bad that the final sanding doesn't fix it.

Problem 2:

When i run the yellow heart through, the wheels don't seem to want to push the wood through -- it'll stop at a couple spots along the way. What typically causes this?

Bob C
    Bob,

What will cause the wheels (rollers) not to work is that they are not engaged (or engaged tightly). With your planer, you change the speed with the unit on (I've made the mistake more than once). So turn on the unit, change the speed a couple of times and you should be ok. You can also check by looking at the reflection of the rollers.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the 'Creek -- where the water is always refreshing.

I do as much as I can with the planer, (also a Delta), and finish up by hand -- Stanley #4 and/or card scrapers, followed by 3M "non-woven" hand pads.

I think that it's not how hard the wood is, it's how irregular the grain is.

In any case, I lower the cutter by turning the crank/handle 1/8 or even 1/16 of a turn at a time.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Thanks for all the good input.

question 1 thoughts)
    I tried wetting the wood the other night -- i swear it was 15 degrees outside and i was questioning my sanity at the time -- and it may have made a little difference.

Dust collector -- i don't have one, so that's something to consider.

It's definately the grain. I planed some more wood, same species (sp?) which had a very straight grain and it came out great. But those bird's eye areas/swirls are just a bear. I seem to be getting two severities of tearout
    small ones which are probably 1/64" deep -- rough and cloudy
    1-2 bigger ones -- maybe 1/16" deep -- a divot about 1/4" in diameter.
    The thing that has me *most* confused is why my old/dull/craftsman joiner does't show similar result <-- it seems to give a more consistent finish even on this grain pattern.

question 2 thoughts)

waxed the base and that helped a lot. After planing for half an hour i got some resistence especially on the 1.5" wide wenge but it seems like an oily kind of wood.

I'd like to clear the rollers. Does anyone know off hand if there's any easy way to do this -- can't really turn them by hand that i can tell.

Bob,

To clean the rollers, crank the planer up to max height. You should be able to see the rollers quite well. To rotate the rollers, quickly turn on the planer on and off. The rollers move so slowly that they will rotate only a little bit when you briefly hit the power.

Be careful when cleaning the rollers. Unplug the machine. Don't cut yourself on the blades!
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Help me out.

Bob C
    Bob, if your rollers are clean and the beds are waxed, your board may be thinner at the feed end and have some thicker areas further on. Try feeding it thru so that it take no cut at all first, then verry gradually lower the blades. You may find that the planer takes wood at various spots along the board until it gets it to a point of even thickness. Then the rollers should feed it thru smoothly. I'm certainly no expert, but am just speaking from my own experience.