Thread: Which 18 Gauge Brad Nailer?

Which 18 Gauge Brad Nailer?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my workhorse of an 18 gauge, 5/8" - 2" brad nailer appears to be DOA after over 15 years of trouble-free service. I can't complain. Parts are no longer available for it. I need to replace it, and based on what I have seen so far, nothing compares. I don't mind nailers that require oil, in fact I prefer it, since hopefully that will extend the gun's longevity. Everything I have seen so far looks like plastic disposable junk, especially when compared to what it will be replacing. Any recommendations?

What specifically made the old one better than what is on the market today? Nailers are a tool most people want to have as light as possible. Most do a good job of putting brads into wood.

If you want an old, heavy nailer, look on craigslist or check some estate sales, I guess.

I have a Cman for 15 years and it's worked great for 15 years. Very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jeffery View Post
    Nailers are a tool most people want to have as light as possible.
    +1 This is a product that many will even give up a level of durability vs increased productivity. I have heard plenty of contractors lament a lot of different tools getting lighter and feeling 'cheaper" but nailers isn't one of them. In reality I think the best today are every bit as good as the heavier guns from a decade or so ago.

Blog Entries
    If you use them often it goes without saying stay away from Horror Freight guns. If it is random, once every few months. Then they work ok.
    I've got a Bostich set that I got about a year or so ago that has 16, 18 and a staple gun along with pancake compressor. All work well, I use 16G often, about 1K nails a month or so. It has held up well. I think any good brand is fine, P-C, Senco, Bostich. I'd stay away from any house brands... YMMV

6. Most are good. They are lighter than ever cheaper than ever. Damn near as cheap as a hammer. I have one Porter Cable, and one Ebay no name special. Both are still going strong after 3-4 years. Niether cost over $80, which is half what they cost 10-15 years ago.

I just had a Paslode Mustang 16 guage pack it in. I had it for about 25 years and paid $790 for it . I couldn't get parts for it or i would pay the same again, it was a great gun.I personally like a heavier gun as it absorbs some of the kick back for driving pins.

Brian

My first gun 20 + years ago was a Senco SFN1- gave it to my PA a few years back and got a Porter Cable that shoots 2-1/2" - (staright nailer) I can't complain , it shoots what I want, when I want. I replaced the senco cuz it only would shoot up to 2". I had a Bostitcher for a while - POS quit after about 6 months - I use HF staplers and 1-1/4" brad nailers with no troubles. My 1/4" stapler is used for soffit only and takes a pounding- STill waiting for it to break after 5 years (had it so long I dont remember)

I remember them Mustangs - good and reliable all day long

Check out "Spotnails" guns - lot of cabinet shops use them, excellent customer service
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Brad nailers aren't very complex and I'm sure any number of makes/models would fit your need. I've always owned Porter Cable air nailers and have never been dissapointed. Last year I purchased a PC 200BN 18 gauge brad nailer primarily for cabinet casework and have not been disappointed. $79 at Amazon.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

10. My first 18 ga nailer was a Senco -- part of a $99 kit that included both the 18, and a 23 ga pinner. Those lasted maybe 5 years, but I sometimes do trim carpentry as a living.

When the Senco puked, I bought a Bostitch 18 ga. If the gun is cold -- say less than about 50 degrees -- it won't fire. It just bypasses the air past the trigger. Once I warm it up by putting it on top of my shop heater, it works great. I suppose it's possible that this is a symptom of many oil-less brad guns, since expansion and contraction might be a more important issue when there is no oil seal (but dunno fer shure).

I am senco fan
    but I googled "18 gauge, 5/8" - 2" brad nailer" and this came up
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NT50AE.../dp/B000H399PC
    I own/love my hitachi roofing nailer and used thier framing nailer good stuff

at that price sounds like a deal to me!
    At least as a spare

but if I was going for a daily workhorse I would stick with Senco
    http://www.senco.com/ToolCategory.aspx?c=1&s=5
    this one might fit the bill
    http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...te=google_base
    Last edited by phil harold; 02-15-2011 at 9:12 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jeffery View Post
    What specifically made the old one better than what is on the market today? Nailers are a tool most people want to have as light as possible. Most do a good job of putting brads into wood.

If you want an old, heavy nailer, look on craigslist or check some estate sales, I guess.
    What made it better? Well, I also own a "newer, lighter" Senco that I have had for several years, so I have a basis of comparison. My original Fasco maybe "old and it maybe heavy" as you describe, although for me that is not an issue and it's not that heavy to begin with, but it has performed flawlessly for the last 15+ years of daily usage, for which I can't complain. There is no way I am going to get that kind of performance out of the newer plastic "throwaways." Cheap imports may be a short term bargain, but for those of us who rely on our tools to make a living, "lighter and cheaper" is rarely better than well-built and substantial.

I have the PC 200BN and have had no issues at all with it - has performed great every time I have used it.

Reconditioned Sales currently has the recon version of the nailer above on sale for $35.

Like many have noted, there are a lot of good nailers to be had out there. If you look at the Amazon ratings from light gauge to heavy gauge, it's clear that there are a lot of good nailers to be had out there as a fair amount score 4-1/2 star averages. Ironically my reconditioned DeWalt 18 gauge nailer has an average rating of 4-1/2 stars. I say "ironically" because the "new" (as opposed to non-reconditioned) version of that same nailer is only rated with a 4-star average, and yet it's worked fine for me. On the other hand my step dad is a paint contractor who is constantly pulling and re-installing trim. He uses a bostich set that is lesser rated on Amazon and yet he puts 10x more nails through his "lesser rated" guns than I do with no problems. Even with the large gauge nailers, a lot of my contractor friends around here swear by their Hitachi's (especially the Hitachi roof nailers) and rave about how much better they are than everything else, but if you look through Amazon it's actually impressive how many different brands have nailers out there with 4-1/2 star ratings or better.