Thread: Gripper and MJ Splitter

Gripper and MJ Splitter

Finally got time to get the MJ Splitter and the Gripper put together. I got the MJ back in September at Terry's BBQ and the Gripper was part of the XMAS Rockler Gift Card shopping 'spree'.

I first made a zero clearance insert out of Red Oak, then set about drilling it for the splitter. I did not use the jig and the setup board due to time constraints...just drilled it and stuck it in. It's lined up nicely and almost ready for duty. I put natural stain on and then two coats of poly.

Then I set about assembling the Gripper...easy to do...had it ready for work in 3 minutes. I have yet to try them out, but at least they are ready to go. I feel safer already!

Here's a couple of pics....you can see some dust on the tablesaw top....it's from sanding earlier and then blowing the shop 'clean'. I hope to get the truck stuff outta the shop soon so I can set about getting the dust collector and air exchanger setup.

Hey Kelly.....

I imagine you will love using the Gripper. It's the only thing I reach for anymore. In fact I will probably get another one for doing the "leap frog" method. As long as you take the time to make sure the saw blade won't make contact with it, everything works great (I'm 'so far so good' with that).

Enjoy.

Brian

One thing I have found about the Grr-ripper. Be sure to keep the pads clean with a brush and a little alcohol. If you don't and they get "powdered up", they WILL slip! On short pieces, I use a tail hook (for lack of a better word at the moment) that mounts in the rear channel.

Thanks for advice Carol...I'll do that! I like the idea of the tailhook since I have one on my normal pushblock.