Thread: Shaper rub collar question

Shaper rub collar question

I'm wondering if anybody makes their own rub collars. I mean, the retail larger rub collars are not cheap. Couldn't the collar be made of mdf with a bearing pressed or epoxied in?
    If not, or if it's a suicidal idea, I'd love to hear why. Would it fly apart?

I have an Amana 40mm insert head and it looks like a rub collar is 60ish bucks. Ouch.

Oella saw may have used for a reasonable price. Or the grizz.

I use several different diameters of rub collars on my shaper. I know they are a little expensive but shop around, check to see if Woodworkers supply or Grizzly has the size you need. I would not want to experiment with a home made one, it could be deadly when it breaks apart. I would listen to the little voice in the back of my head telling me not to make one. Our shop tools can be dangerous if not used properly, especially the shaper.

Regards!
    Ed

What is wrong here? One of the scariest machines in the shop and looking to make spinning parts from the cheapest quality materials. I invision a shop accident.
    Last edited by Dar Lounsbury; 02-16-2011 at 1:26 AM.

I make them on occasion. I have a Bridgeport with a rotary table and arbor press at my disposal though. I mill them out of high molecular plastic, and press them on to bearings I already have. Have never had a problem. No reason that it can't be done if you have access to the right tools.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what your looking for, but I would start here. I bought a door set and carbide router bit from them.

http://www.infinitytools.com/searchprods.asp

OK guys, don't worry. I don't plan to build anything yet. I'm curious because this is such a simple device and seems like it could be fabricated easily. I'm seeking advice to find out if 1) it's suicidal or 2) people actually do it all the time. You never know unless you ask. I'm intrigued by the UHMW plastic that Larry uses, although I would have to make do with a lathe and drill press.