• I am a quiet seller

71 11.18%
  • I am a hobbyist

412 64.88%
  • none of the above

8 1.26%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you a pro or hobbyist?

I had to answer as other. Since my shop is not complete and none of my project are complete or done to my satisfaction, I'll have to label myself as a hack.

I consider myself a hobbyist but voted quiet seller as I have made and sold items to friends after they have seen similar items I have made for family. When I sell an item I only recover my costs and a few bucks to put toward a tool I have my eye on. I'm only a few years from retirement and plan to do more commission work in the future to keep busy. I'll only take projects that I enjoy and if I find it takes the fun out of it for me I'll quickly move back to being a hobbyist.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Had to think about it. Hobbyist or quiet seller. Hmm. Well, I've sold more than a couple turnings so I guess that makes me a quiet seller.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I've made a little money woodworking but could never make a living at it. As with many here, I find it incredibly satisfying. There's just something inherently wonderful about wood.

My day job is material scientist / tool manufacturer. I try to contribute some technical background where I can. Mostly I really like the people here and find it tremendously educational.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Pro on-site and in the shop for close to 40.
    From "the sill plates up" to remodels and commisioned woodwork and finish.

On-site tools need to be "pro grade".

Shop tools are diverse, good quality, cost effective, fairly accurate and can be upgraded with after market/homebrew setups. Not a full blown production shop by any means but capable.

Hobbyist only, it seems, to the family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    What are you?

My definitions:

Pro: if I am not making sawdust I don't eat

Semi-pro: I actively market and sell items but still eat, maybe not as well, if i don't sell since I have another job

Quiet seller: I don't market but I do sell occasionally to friends etc

Hobbist: I may have sold an item or two but generally it is for the fun of it

None of the above, explain: for example I am a metalworker that got lost on the internet and hang out here because i like reading Sawstop threads
    I refuse to answer as my home owner insurance agent my stumble onto this thread.............

I categorized myself as a Quiet Seller. I started selling some items to help pay for my tools and sold enough that I made it a legitimate small business but my day job puts food on the table. The business side is just enough to interfere with being a true hobbyist but gives me an excuse to spend hours out in the shop.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Long time hobbyist (from early college days) till layoff. Tried valiantly to be a pro for a little over two years, but was burning through my savings too fast. Got a lucky break to get back into my field and had to say farewell to pro wood working. Got a really nice "hobbyiest" shop now as a result.

James

Blog Entries
    Definitely a hobbyist. I see too many flaws in my finished work to feel good about charging for it. And with the speed at which I work I would be making about 25 cents an hour.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 02-16-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling

I checked "hobbyist" as there was no category for "maker of expensive mistakes and copious amounts of sawdust"....

Blog Entries
    I checked hobbyist despite that I've only done construction work so far (building our kitchen, porch, barn, woodshop, bathroom etc....). But as soon as my kitchen is finished in a couple weeks, I'm finally going to start my first project!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    is hobbyist a nice term for noob?
    i have been building my shop for almost two years but havent made much except for some jigs, simple stuff like cribbage boards, cutting boards,
    scrolled ornaments and crosses, and a bunch of bird houses that i have actually been able to sell.
    im getting a router table assembled and i should be able to get to building more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I guess I am a hobbiest. I used to work in a cabinet shop when I was in high school and college. I guess that makes me retired. I occasionally take odd jobs. Althought current status might fit into the Other: tool collector.
    I didn't think of that and quite frankly that's where I fit currently until I get my new shop built, the room I had to work is packed solid with machines awaiting a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    I checked "hobbyist" as there was no category for "maker of expensive mistakes and copious amounts of sawdust"....
    I dunno, Ray, but that is the very definition of hobbyist in my book...and in my garage-mah-hal....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I made custom furniture professionally in my own shop for a little over 25 years. Before opening up on my own I worked at an architectural millwork, as a carpenter, and in a shop specializing in high quality 18th century reproductions.

But then I gave all that up to work as a Paramedic in an ER, wiping butts and runny noses, etc., living the dream .