Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Saw Stop, now we have Saw Drop.

First Saw Stop, now we have Saw Drop.

Popular woodworking just sent out an e-mail about a new device that Woodworking tool manufactures have been working on called Saw Drop. A device that drops the blade below the table WITHOUT blade damage. It also can tell the difference between wet wood and flesh.

Don't think I'm allowed to post a link to Pop Wood blog but do a search there for
    Saw Drop.

EDIT (Chris): Here is the link provided by Brodie below in post #16: http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...Woodworking%29
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-16-2011 at 2:39 PM. Reason: added link
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Folks,

Do not start a debate on Saw Stop and Gass' methods. We've about had it with the topic. Go search for it if you want to read the bashing...it is the same thing over and over again. Any posts referring to this will be deleted.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Chris, I wasn't involved in any previous debate over SawStop. However I remember reading a couple of negative statements in the past.

Those are fascinating articles. Thanks for posting.

Interesting. Also very interesting that it's coming from a group of 'member companies' of the Power Tool Institute. Looks like they've been busy!

I think the 'reaction system' itself will be the subject of significant disputes. Assuming something comes to market based on this, it will be interesting to see what competitive advantage they will see due to the lack of damage to the blade.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Interesting. Also very interesting that it's coming from a group of 'member companies' of the Power Tool Institute. Looks like they've been busy!
    With how quickly they are acquiring each other, i imagine it will only be one company soon

Awesome to hear there is competition coming.

It would be nice to have a viable alternative to the SawStop technology. The non destructive safety feature would be a huge advancement over SawStop if it works well...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have not read through everything yet but wonder if the system reacts as fast as Sawstop?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If it's triggered by an explosion, I don't see how it could be much slower unless the charge was not substantial enough.

Blog Entries
    I posted something recently about Whirlwind which is a guard that detects when you touch and stops the blade in 1/8 sec. with no damage. The good news in all of this is there is research going on and alternatives will be available and possibly retrofits.

My thought.

What would be most helpful to ME, as a safety measure, is a spring-loaded, articulated arm, with a silicon-filled "hand" at the end.

Whenever I turn on my table saw, the hand would simply SLAP me, RIGHT across the face.

Pretty sure that ... given THAT ... I'd always be adequately careful, and adequately alert.

Now ... if you'll excuse me ... I'm going to lobby the government to make that mandatory in all of your work shops

I too am glad to see that competition is doing as it should, forcing companies to get better (case being, can you even buy a B&W tv anymore?) Another fun fact to consider it there are 20 times as many stair related injuries than there are tablesaw injuries. I ain't using the elevator because I've gotten old and fat and get out of breath when I climb stairs, it's for safety.
    Please take this as it was intended as a light hearted comment of personal choices.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Julian,

Links are perfectly valid in many cases. The links that are not allowed include those that promote a website owned by you, promote products you have a vested interest in, links to other forums, etc. Dave would have been within the rules to post a link, but he erred on the side of caution.

The idea being you're not allowing others to profit off of the high ranking Sawmill Creek receives in the search engines. Some members continue to ignore the TOS and put links to their own sites in forum posts and their signature.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can't seem to find any articles about the Saw Drop. I searched Google for "popular woodworking saw drop" and didn't get anything. Lil help?
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-16-2011 at 2:19 PM. Reason: spelling