Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: book case at "for friend" pricing. What do you think of this price?

At least make them paint it themselves, I hate painting and if I were doing a painted job for a friend I'd at least let them do the tedious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Moseley View Post
    At least make them paint it themselves, I hate painting and if I were doing a painted job for a friend I'd at least let them do the tedious stuff.
    Seeing as how they have hired me at full price for several painting jobs It would be next to impossible to do that. I can't believe the number of people I have met who "won't paint" (not saying you won't but probably fall close to that category). I have met several remodelers and finish carpenters who have told me they won't paint anything. Not sure if they hate it or they think its beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I have met several remodelers and finish carpenters who have told me they won't paint anything. Not sure if they hate it or they think its beneath them.
    They probably feel like they can make more money per hour doing something else. Around here, painters will usually work for less than finish carpenters.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    I do do work for friends, but I have a very different approach, primarily because woodworking is a hobby for me.

I don't charge them anything. They pay for all the materials, including tooling and consumables. Consumables are always purchased in quantities great enough to insure that I won't run out of them in the current project, and usually in the next as well.

And they help.

If they don't help, it doesn't happen.
    this is how i feel about it too. i mean if you are in business doing this, fine go ahead as planned, i understand time is money, but if you are just a hobbyist building this for a friend i would feel better about them getting involved and helping out and just paying for the materials. could be fun!

I just did some built-ins a few months ago about the same size. I charged 4k and they didn't bat an eye. You're doing them a favor at that price.