Thread: Lateral File Cabinet

Lateral File Cabinet

Hello,
    New to the site. I am attempting to design and build a lateral file cabinet. Has anyone attempted this? If so any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance.

Len

I built an office using Ikea Effectiv hardware. I built the cabinets and drawer fronts, but bought drawers and file hardware from them. It wasn't difficult, just basic cabinet construction. I did have to make sure that the inside of the cabinets matched the hardware as there isn't much room for error. It's been in use for several years with no problems.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30043951

Thanks. Never thought of that option. That just may come in handy.

Oh, I'm just remembering; that is the entire drawer unit. The drawer front screws to the steel structure and there are no sides or back. As I recall, it uses confirmat screws to hold the supports, so you just drill the appropriate depth hole and drive in the screws.

Caution with lateral files

I am just offering my two cents. Be very careful that whatever hardware you use has a feature to only allow one drawer to open at a time. Due to height and depth a lateral file can tip over very easily. Even with the drawer "interlock" be sure to secure the file to a wall stud or two .