Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much usage do you get out of your disk sander?

How much usage do you get out of your disk sander?

I have a chance to pick up a higher end 12" disk sander and a great savings over retail. I do a little bit of everything in my woodworking. I'm just wondering how useful they are and how much use they get in your shops?

I have a 6x48 belt/9" disc sander combination. I pretty much keep the belt sander in the upright position for the end grain sanding I do, but I can flatten it out in 30 seconds if I need to do so. If I didn't have the belt sander, I would miss it terribly. If I didn't have the disc sander, I wouldn't care.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Blog Entries
    I also hardly ever use my disk. If I could pick up a HF one like dad did on sale for around $70 and had the room, I guess I would. No way would I pay what Delta and others think theirs are worth. Necessary is not a word that comes to mind. Dad loves his so it depends what you do and how you do it I suppose. If you haven't been stumped being without one so far, I would say you are probably in the "nice to have but, don't need it" club. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

that's what i suspected.... i was able to pick up the jet 12" 1hp that was nearly new for less than half off new...but i'm not sure i really have the "need".

There are a lot of people that use the heck out of them, however chances are if you don't know you need it then you don't. A disc sander is pretty far down on my list of sanders I NEED.

Had a disc sander for years.. never used it .. Gave it to a buddy.. he doesnt use it either.. I gave it away when I got a basic 6 x 89 Edge Sander.. I use it a bunch..

Edge Sander is 10x the tool IMO of a disc sander..

I use the disc sander quite a bit, actually I have 2 of them. I guess it depends on how you were taught to do things and how your brain works. I don't "need" them, but I do use them. I would never spend more than $75 on one. It's like do you "need" a grinder ? probably not, but it sure is nice when you do need it. If the price is right and you have been thinking you need one - buy it
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

I do a fair amount of segmented turning and that tool is indispensable for truing up the ring segments. What brand tool are you buying? I have a grizzly that is pretty low quality. The disk is not flat and the belt sander part doesn't keep the belt flat on the platen.

Disc Sander

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a higher end 12" disk sander and a great savings over retail. I do a little bit of everything in my woodworking. I'm just wondering how useful they are and how much use they get in your shops?

I have a Delta combination 1X42 belt and an attached disc sander. I have never used the disc, but I use the belt sander a lot. I personally would not spend money on a dedicated disc sander.

I managed to pick up an old craftsman 6" belt/9" disk sander for $50. I finally purchased disks and belts for it. Since buying I have found needs for it. It is definately nice to have one or the other. For finer sanding (inching toward the line) of medium sized parts the disk is nice because it is so stable, compared to the belt sander (completely supported and no seam). I don't think I would have bought it new, I just don't see it's worth that kind of money. 50% new, I would have to think about and would grow more tempting as the price dropped.

Blog Entries
    i have a Jet combo sander and rarely use the disc on it, mainly because i have a smaller disc/belt sander on my bench plus the way the Jet is positioned & located in my shop.
    i used the smaller disc sander a LOT for many different things. if i had the money i would have a big disc sander mounted on my bench and then have a big edge belt sander

Useless compared to a 6x89 edge sander.

I have two - i use them a lot. One is used to square up/flush wood/metal (especially handy for making planes), and the other has a leather disc on it with honing compound - also extremely handy, but can burn an edge or throw a sharp tool if the user is careless.

Have a buddy who loves to use a disc sander to fit/tune miter joints.

I have a 10"disc, 6x48 belt combo that I use a lot. Would hate to be without it. Also have a Drill Dr. but use the disc sander to touch up my drills unless I have a bunch of them to do. D.Dr. would go way before the sander if I had to part with one of them. I am not bashing the D.Dr. but find many more uses for the sander than I ever thought I would. I do a fair amount of metal work in my shop and use it a lot there also.

I built 12" steel face plate, and installed on my wood lathe. Along with adjustable table top supported by tool holder. Works great, must use it almost daily. Not as nice as a 24" Max. Tom