Thread: Monster Articulated Arm for Delta 46-460

Monster Articulated Arm for Delta 46-460

Thinking about buying a Monster Articulated Arm system for my Delta 46-460 and would like to know if you would recommend the mini or full size.

Mike, other than overall scale, the main difference is that the full size has a 3/4" boring bar. I first ordered the mini system, and Randy convinced me to get the full size so that someday, in the event I got a larger lathe, there would be very little cost in upgrading the base to fit another lathe. I think it was good advice, and I am pleased with the full size system.

If there is absolutely no chance of upgrade in your future, then the mini might be fine for you. I can tell you, however, on particularly hard wood the extra beef to the bar is nice to have.

Mike,
    Do get the full size one. I use it on the 46-460 a lot but also use it on the DVR and Powermatic.
    Bill

Mike, I have the the Mini monster,on my 46-460, I get some chatter when I go deeper than 6", I'll defer to John and Bill, go with the larger one.

Larry

Days spent fishing or not deducted from one's life span. (old Chinese proverb)

I have the mini on the 46-460 and have no complaints. I have not crossed the 6" depth line, so I cannot answer to that. But this is the lathe of this lifetime and I dont foresee deep vases in my future. Depends on where you go from here. Good luck.

I spoke with Randy and ordered the full-sized one as well.

JMO, but it really depends on what it is you want to turn. If you only plan on turning small HFs or vases on your lathe then the smaller unit may make more sense because it would allow for a smaller entry hole. If there is any chance you will be turning larger vessels - then go with the full size unit. Plus, with the full size unit, you can take it with you should you upgrade your lathe at some point in the future.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new system!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!