Thread: Were to Buy Kiln Dried Slab Lumber

Were to Buy Kiln Dried Slab Lumber

Does anyone know were to order 20/4 Kiln Dried Lumber without having to mortgage my house? I have fallen in loved with the Roubo Bench Christopher Schwarz made in the August 2010 issue of Popular Wood Working. He suggested Craigs List (which can't find anything on there) Wood-Mizer which to dry a slab that thick would take a few years and barkhouse which seems to mostly sell figured wood slabs although I'm going to call them and see what their pricing is.

Would like Hard Maple or ash.. He made his out of Cherry which came out beautiful.

Thanks

Ray

You may have better luck with reclaimed lumber from old buildings.

There are plenty of folks taking down barns and the like. It is generally not too hard to find.

However the cost is a different story.

Where are you looking (general geographic area)?

J.P.

I may be able to find some for you. Can you provide dimensions/board footage needed?

Cheryl Lewis
    The Hardwood Store of NC, Inc.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-17-2011 at 5:56 PM. Reason: Removed link to personal website

I'm in Memphis, TN so it's not to far over to Nashville TN, Little Rock AR, Jackson MS, Huntsville AL so kind of in that area is drivable distance to get it.. outside that I would have to look at it getting shipped.

The final Dimensions of the top are 5" thick by 20" wide by 6' Long. Would need the wood over sized a bit to shape down and remove any checks or such. Chris did his in Cherry and I believe he had 2 pieces that were 10" wide instead of 1 piece that's 20" wide so that would be acceptable as well. I did talk to the barkhouse.com and they sell mantles that are that thick and 10-12" wide but they only do high end figured woods so the top would run like $1200 and I would have a bench you would have to use coasters when you sat your glass down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray DuBose View Post
    I'm in Memphis, TN so it's not to far over to Nashville TN, Little Rock AR, Jackson MS, Huntsville AL so kind of in that area is drivable distance to get it.. outside that I would have to look at it getting shipped.
    Ray,

Get a hold of Alf Sharp. He is a cabinetmaker in the Nashville/Franklin area.

I have seen him selling some of his inventory now and again. He would be someone that would either have that which you seek or would know where to find it.

I met him through the Furniture Society and he is a nice guy as well.

Google Alfred Sharp and Son to get his website.

J.P.

Blog Entries
    I would have a bench you would have to use coasters when you sat your glass down on it.
    I have a cheap bench and do that anyway.

I even use coasters on pine tables.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray DuBose View Post
    Does anyone know were to order 20/4 Kiln Dried Lumber without having to mortgage my house? I have fallen in loved with the Roubo Bench Christopher Schwarz made in the August 2010 issue of Popular Wood Working. He suggested Craigs List (which can't find anything on there) Wood-Mizer which to dry a slab that thick would take a few years and barkhouse which seems to mostly sell figured wood slabs although I'm going to call them and see what their pricing is.

Would like Hard Maple or ash.. He made his out of Cherry which came out beautiful.

Thanks

Ray

Didn't Christopher Schwarz build his bench from a green slab? If you use quartersawn material, there should not be excessive movement.

In order to kiln dry a 5" slab of just about any species, it would either have to be dried in an vacuum kiln (very expensive) or air dried for several years before being finished off in a conventional or DH kiln.

Chris' bench is a thing of beauty. I recently picked up The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing and got a real kick out of the pictures. It looks like Chris' Roubo makes a cameo or two . I had to do a triple take because I thought this book was published years ago. Looks like it was updated in 2010 with some new illustrations/pictures!

By the way Scott, no plug for the slabs you have been milling? Ok, I will do it for you . Just last weekend Scott had a slabbing party at his mill. I am not sure if they are all spoken for but it was very cool to watch!

Salem
    Last edited by Salem Ganzhorn; 02-17-2011 at 7:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Chris' bench is a thing of beauty. I recently picked up The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing and got a real kick out of the pictures. It looks like Chris' Roubo makes a cameo or two . I had to do a triple take because I thought this book was published years ago. Looks like it was updated in 2010 with some new illustrations/pictures!

By the way Scott, no plug for the slabs you have been milling? Ok, I will do it for you . Just last weekend Scott had a slabbing party at his mill. I am not sure if they are all spoken for but it was very cool to watch!

Salem
    Thanks Salem! I actually made a post here on SMC about the event: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hes&highlight=

I probably should have posted it in this Neanderthal forum instead of the general woodworking forum, as it did not get many views or responses. The 50" oak log is still set up in the sawmill awaiting milling; do you want another shot at offbearing in a few weeks?!

In answer to your question, I try not to "plug" too much, but there is still one 20" wide quartersawn slab available... Too bad that you just finished your new workbench.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 02-17-2011 at 10:21 PM.