Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Guide Rail Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mendoza View Post
    I would love to hear about the first time buyer incentive your rep offered. This stuff is rarely on sale and any savings goes a long way.
    Hmmm, there's no first time buyer incentive that I'm aware of, might be what he told the wife who happens to read the forum on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    ... might be what he told the wife who happens to read the forum on occasion.
    You are not too far off. It is true that I told my wife that I didn't want to miss the opportunity when the offer was made. It was not a "first time incentive" but he asked if this was my first Festool. I ended up getting an extra fine tooth blade.

I got a first time incentive, too. It was a black tee shirt with the green Festool logo. Not sure what happened to it.

The store where I bought let me try both sizes of saw. I went with the 55 and am satisfied with that choice. I also went with 2 55 inch tracks, plus several shorter ones. Before each critical rip cut, I check that the tracks are straight at the joint, usually with a third track. Other times I'll snap a chalk line just to be sure nothing slips.

The Festool saw system has saved me a bunch. I was planning to build a larger shop. In the end Festool allowed me to
    ditch my large table saw and dust collection stuff. That freed up enough space that a larger shop was no longer desired. I did buy a small DeWalt bench top saw but rarely use it.

Right now I'm building new cabinetry for our kitchen. The cases are all in and the bench saw is set up to do finger joints for the drawers. I thought about a way to do that with the Festool and MFT, but just didn't do it.

You'll love your Festool 75 and will find more and more uses for it.

I actually own both the TS55 & TS75. I use my TS saws quite a bit and lugging the 75 around my garage was not fun. I now leave the 75 for my MFTs and thick hardwood or multiple sheets of ply. The 55 is used to cut sheet goods. I started off with the 75 when they first came out. I always questioned myself whether I had made the right choice. I think the best choice was to purchase both. I purchased the second saw from a reputable online Festool deliver and he allowed me to purchase the 55 without the rail. It saved me about $100 since I already had 3-55" rails. I'm getting ready to purchase the 118" rail because I am not comfortable joining 2 rails together.

I hate to say it but I really think that you made a mistake. As I said in an earlier post I to have experienced problems with joined Festool rails as has everyone else that is honest about it. The Eurekazone rails do not have this problem. With self aligning dovetail connectors they connect straight and stay straight even when bumped hard. Also you just can not beat the ripsizer and a square that actually works (unlike the Festool, I used to have one) for breaking down sheet goods.

I think it would be a bit of stretch to say it was a mistake but I could have considered "alternatives" more throughly before I made my final decision. The only advantage I could see with the Eurekazone is the fact that one could use any circular saw with it but otherwise, especially in terms of pricing, it appears like Eurekazone is easily more expensive - I didn't do item by item comparison. Also, self aligning connectors are definitely appears to be more cleverly designed; when you tighten it, aligns the two pieces.
    I've picked up few blades and splinter guards and stuff today from Force Machinery with 20% closeout discount too. So, I am happy with my decision and looking forward to get mine soon. Thanks again for all the feedback.

I don't have any problems aligning my 2 55" rails. I just lay them face down and hook them over the edge of the sheet I'm about to cut before joining them with the connectors.

I may not be able to justify 75 over 55 for my use except the 20" longer rail built in the price but I don't think I would ever wish I had 55 instead
    I wouldn't bet on that!

When I bought my TS55 w/a 55 " rail. they were out of stock on extra 55" tracks. Since I needed to cut down some 4x8 sheets that same day, I picked up a 42" rail.
    Using the 55 and the 42, it just barely does the job - if - and I have to stress IF - you take your time.
    I've since addd antoher 55" section.

I was advised at the time I bought the 42 to return it since it was considered an "odd size" and not much use.
    I'm glad I didn't heed the advice!

The 42" rail is my "go to" for roughly 90% of the cuts I make. It's just amazing how much handier the 42 is than the 55.
    BTW - joiining two rails together is a lot easier and more positive w/the third rail acting as a guide.

Well... It was too premature for me to declare that I had a "discount". After few "delays" getting the order in, I have picked up the saw today. The same day I've placed the order, I called them up and told them not to order the accessory kit because I was going to buy the necessary contents separately as needed as well as the extra blade. It made more sense to me after reading few topics here. They said no problem. Considering they have not ordered anything yet, I thought so too. That was Feb 19th.
    When I picked up the saw, 118" fence and the hose, they asked me to pick $280 worth of stuff or I would not get the $100 off. I told them to keep their $100 and decided that I am not going to buy few other things I've picked up already to purchase. Not pleased, to say the least, and I think they do know it although I didn't say so one way or another. I could have nickeled and dimed asking to apply the discount prorated to what I am getting but sticking to my idea of "principle" made me think not to. Right now, I don't think I will go back. I guess, I am the "first impression matters the most" kind of person. The place was Tool Town, by the way.