Thread: Carter Guides for a Grizzly G0555 14" saw with riser.

Carter Guides for a Grizzly G0555 14" saw with riser.

Thinking of upgrading to a set of Carter bandsaw roller guides on my G0555 14" Grizzly with Riser Block. Yes, it already comes with roller guides however, Grizzly uses a face oriented thrust bearing vice an Outer Race or edge oriented thrust bearing.

This should be a dramatic improvement in thust performance, tracking, thrust bearing life and noise reduction. These small anti-friction rollers are not built for signficant side/thrust loading, as they do not have an angular contact arrangement.

The question is has anyone upgraded their Grizzly Roller Guides to the Carter? Did you see a significant difference in performance? Would you call it a worthwhile upgrade from the Grizzly rollers...knowing the current $169 cost?

Regards,
    Chris
    Building a New Shop...

Chris-
    I have a G0555.
    I have not tried the guides. I offer this, though:
    When I started using the right blades (for me) and I adjusted the guides properly, I solved all my problems with noise, tracking, and cut quality.

By adjusting the guides, I mean removing the upper and lower guide ASSEMBLIES, and re-centering them properly.

I cut a lot of green 6" thick bowl blanks this Fall/Winter. That put everything to the real test. It performed wonderfully.

If yr having problems muscling thru wood or tracking, I'm going to guess it's more a function of blade and horsepower than the guide material.

I am a fan of the Carter conversion for 14" saws it makes more of a difference when moving up from solid blocks though.

FYI I have a Carter conversion that fits this saw, the Jet and some others. I picked it up to use on a saw I never bought, I am planning to sell it in the classifieds but haven't got around to it, if you are interested it PM me.

Prashun...I wouldn't say that I have a problem with any evolution. I've spent many hours tuning my bandsaw to be the best performer it can for what it is...my question is a little more nuanced as this type of upgrade by its nature is not going to resolve any big "problems"...its more of a "tweak"....

Again...anyone who's gone from the Grizzly rollers to carter rollers?? I'd hate to think I'm the first...
    Building a New Shop...

Chris, we have the same BS and jointer too. I have always thought that thrust bearing was kind of an odd setup. I thought about getting the Carter stabilizer for small radius cuts. I think one needs to purchase their guides first for the stabilizer to work, but I'm not sure. If you do get their guides let us know what you think.

Prashun, I haven't studied my guide assemblies beyond adjusting the blade track bearings. Could you be specific about what you found and did to center them?

Ok, I spent some time checking out the guide assemblies. My top one was fine, the lower one I tweaked a little to one side as it was slightly off center. Incidently, if you want to move the rear thrust bearing more left or right you can take it apart and change it as the bearing is set off-center to the arm. You have to remove the allen screw.

No one put the Carter on the Grizzly?

Does one have to purchase the Carter guides to utilize their stabilizer? I know the lower guide is removed to use the stabilzer but I'm not sure how it mounts up top. I'm assuming it mounts to their guide assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post

No one put the Carter on the Grizzly?

Does one have to purchase the Carter guides to utilize their stabilizer? I know the lower guide is removed to use the stabilzer but I'm not sure how it mounts up top. I'm assuming it mounts to their guide assembly.

There have been several people who have put Carter guides on 555 series and reported here, you may try a search.

You do NOT have to have Carter guides to use the Stabilizer, they make the Stabilizer to fit a number of saws from a Shopsmith to Laguna.

I have the G0555x and the carter stabilizer fits right on without any issues. Well worth the money also.

I elected to go another route on the guides. I installed the cool blocks on my saw because I didn't really like the bearing guides. I immediately noticed how quiet the saw became and believe it or not but I can resaw 8" red oak to 1/32". I tired the 1/2" Timberwolf blade and the 1/2" Carter (both 3 tpi) and found the Carter blade cuts the best on my saw.

I am currently working with Mike at Carter to make a way for the ratchet rod to work with the standard quick release on the G0555x.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Larru View Post

I elected to go another route on the guides. I installed the cool blocks on my saw because I didn't really like the bearing guides.
    Many people overlook the simply solution. Although they can be a tad harder to accurately adjust than bearing guides solid guides do have some definite benefits. I am actually a fan of steel guides. Years ago I compared some hard curve cutting with impregnated phenolic (Cool blocks), hardwood (Lignum Vitae) and steel using am ammeter. The interesting thing is the steel guides produced the least drag as demonstrated by the lower current draw, so I am actually a fan of steel solid guides BUT they are not for the faint of heart particularly with small blades since if mot setup properly they will ruin the set of a blade in a heartbeat. If you don't change blades often the solid guides can be great, for a saw that sees a lot of blade changes I still prefer a guide that makes the change quick and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am a fan of the Carter conversion for 14" saws it makes more of a difference when moving up from solid blocks though.

FYI I have a Carter conversion that fits this saw, the Jet and some others. I picked it up to use on a saw I never bought, I am planning to sell it in the classifieds but haven't got around to it, if you are interested it PM me.
    PM sent.......in case Chris isn't interested. Thanks, Butch

Van......here are the pix I mentioned....bbBANDSAW GUIDES-2.jpgBANDSAW GUIDES-1.jpg