Thread: Veritas Workbench

Veritas Workbench

Hi all, I'm relatively new to this forum. I'm in need of new bench and after looking at many, I'm leaning toward the veritas. I'm a combo hand tool/Power tool woodworker, with far too little available shop time. Building my own is just not in the cards.

I'd like to hear opinions, especially from those using the veritas bench.
    demps

Hi Bill. This looks like a great bench for several reasons (in addition to the fact that Lee Valley knows woodworking).

Both designs are heavy.

The double handled end vise is the favorite of many sawmill creekers. With the center of the double vise open, you can work on the ends of long pieces of wood.

I prefer a bench with a tool tray.

That's my $.02.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Welcome to the Cave by the Creek.

You do not list a location in your profile. If it were near me, I could get myself in trouble by offering to build a bench in the price range they charge for one of those Veritas benches.

When a few more projects on my list are finished my plans are to build a bench. It would probably be just as easy to make two at a time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Bill
    I've had their bench (wooden base) for 8-9 years now. The vises are great, the bench itself is a good size, though I'm not a big fan of the tooltray. With all the add ons and accessories for it, you can't go wrong. My only reservation, if I were to buy it again, is the weight. I feel that another 100lbs would make it perfect, but then again, I'm a big guy and can be fairly 'vigorous' with planes and knocking out waste. This, arguable, fault can be easily fixed with the addition of a box or tray across the stretchers and a few bags of sand.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Took me maybe 8 hours to build my bench minus the vise install...
    You can buy bolts from LV to make the base and then all you need is to lay up some boards together and screw them to the base..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Hi Guys,
    Brian and Brent - thanks for the input. Johnny, I understand, just thinking about adding yet another project to my list, maybe.. Jim, I'm in Northeastern Pa, quite a bit from you. I do have a good friend in the logistics business, moving stuff all over the country. Interesting thought.

Again, thanks. BTW, I went through the stickys here this morning, WOW, what a great body of knowledge. Great Place, I'll certainly be spending time here.
    Bill

Although I hate to steer anyone away from sending their money to Veritas, here's an alternative. I can't afford to buy most of the benches on the market, so I took a slightly different route. I ordered a trestle set from Diefenbach, then added my own top. The trestle cost me about $80 including shipping, they were having a sale at the time. I have about $200 into my bench and just need to add the face vice onto it. It's half way between buying a turn key bench and building from scratch.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

The big time/challenge factor in building a bench is the top. You can find tops, Jorgensen makes 'em, Grizzly sells 'em, etc. You can build a serviceable base in just a few hours, then a couple hours to attach your vise(s) and you're in business.

That said, of the commercially available benches, the Veritas looks to be a fine bench and the best value. I personally like the cast iron base myself, and IIRC it adds more weight.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Maybe someone here will remember the name of the company that IIRC was located in Pennsylvania that made and sold THICK laminated slab table and bench tops for commercial users. They would have Blems and off sizes from time to time that several members here would go there and buy for excellent workbenches. They only had to build the base, trim the top ends and install it on the base. Of course, they would also have to mount vises and drill dog holes in it. It seemed that the prices were extremely reasonable for those that were close enough to go there and make their selections from the current stock and haul them home. I really wish I could remember the name of that company, but maybe Jim Becker will remember. (Just wish I lived close enough to go there.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Just found it. mapleblock.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post
    Just found it. mapleblock.com
    I believe that's it. Be carefull if you go there though, because if it is still like it used to be, "Most" guys that went there couldn't resist the prices and ended up going home with "More" than just the top they went after.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".