Thread: Learning to use a new tool

Learning to use a new tool

After 10+ years of working wood I finally decided to purchase a tool that I have seen many of my peers using over the years. What tool you ask. Well its not a fancy Festool this or a euro that, it's the lowly tool belt. I'm 37 now and while not old by any means I am finding that I don't have the dexterity or limberness that I once had. There was a time when anything within 6 ft was within reach, I find myself grunting for these things now, and hopping up and down from bare ceiling joists just isn't as fun as it used to be.

I am finding it difficult to get used to having things right on my person and putting them back onto my person. So for I've only started doing the basics; hammer, nails, pencil, tape measure.

What things do you use your tool belt for and are there any little tidbits you have to offer about this particular tool?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    are there any little tidbits you have to offer about this particular tool?
    I've seen a surprising amount of discussion about how to wear it: there is a divide between those who wear the buckle in the front, with the tape measure in the back, and those who wear the tape measure in front, with the buckle in the back (ala Norm).

I won't weigh in on which way I think is right, but only note that after a few years, it is nearly impossible to switch, so choose wisely

I found an easier solution: build your own kit.

I had a norm-ish cheapy belt that my parents bought for me when I was little and needed one "just like dad."

Once I bought my house, the belt was still good and worked fine, but I found a typical carpenters belt wasn't suitable. It always seemed like I had a need for more tools and fewer fasteners and I was loosing tools in the pouches when I needed them. So I put together a rig starting with this belt: http://www.mcguirenicholas.com/products-2005/500-08.jpg. The padded back's loops help keep the various bits in place and it's comfy.

I put an electricians pouch for my right (dominant) hand for my tools (McGuire-Nicholas 526-CC). A three tier carpenter's pouch for my left hand and fasteners (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G24)

I use a hook in the back for either a drill or impact driver. I also put my hammer in the back too on a dedicated hammer holder. Really does a good job of keeping everything out of the way.

I find the biggest advantage to the custom rig is positioning the pouches. I have them almost right on my hips. I can bend without dumping anything or it getting in the way.

Building your own belt, like Matt said, is really the only way to go - and +1 on the dedicated hammer holder. If you start using a belt on a regular basis, and you have a "pre-fab" carpenters belt, you will switch to one eventually.

As far as other tools - a beater chisel, a nail punch/sink, a 5-in-1 screw driver, lighter, utility knife/box cutter, Sharpie, etc. You will add more or less as you go. I also always carry a speed square and bullet level - but I usually only wear a belt for framing or construction.

One more bit of advise that may help you - try not to remove any tools from your belt. Hang it loaded so you will always know exactly what is in it. If needed buy an extra tape measure or knife for day to day use.

A tool belt is like new dog or a new pair of jeans. You will grow together and work out a mutually satisfactory, ever changing relationship. Anything that works for the two of you is great. Things will change over time but the relationship will just deepen.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

I am thinking about maybe a nice apron. I wore a " Cadillac" for twenty years and you couldn't get me to put one back on if you had a gun.

Spent thirty years as a carpenter and learned early on that, whichever way you buckled it, the trick was to keep your tools to a minimum. I always laughed at new young guys with their brand new huge tool belts decked out with forty pounds of tools. If they didn't learn, they were the ones who developed back trouble. I only carried my trusty framing hammer, the nails I was using, tape, beater chisel and square. Save your back and go minimalist.

I've gone just the opposite way. At 50 or so, (now almost 54), I quit wearing a tool pouch after over 20 years.
    Now, I still use one, but I just buckle the belt and use it as a sling over my shoulder to carry the pouch to where I'm working.
    A bit less efficient, but my back thanks me every day.

I call it the belt of discipline

I love my occidental pouches they have over 15 years of daily use on them
    still going strong
    Like other says only carry what you need

Quote Originally Posted by John Christian View Post
    I am thinking about maybe a nice apron. I wore a " Cadillac" for twenty years and you couldn't get me to put one back on if you had a gun.
    I was going to post something very similar but instead I'll just give you a big

+1

I wear a shop apron, so I can not comment about the tool belt.

But, I wonder to alleviate any back problem(s) would a pair of suspenders attached to the belt help? In another life when I was in the U.S.M.C. serving in RVN, "belt suspender straps" attached to web belt helped to carry the weight. And the padded ones that borrowed from the US Army were the cat's meow....

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I'm 37 now and while not old by any means I am finding that I don't have the dexterity or limberness that I once had. There was a time when anything within 6 ft was within reach, I find myself grunting for these things now, and hopping up and down from bare ceiling joists just isn't as fun as it used to be.
    Just about the time I hit 40, I found that it was getting tougher to, when sitting, get my feet up to tie my shoes. I started doing something that made every part of my life more enjoyable. Each day I take 20 minutes and stretch out. I spend about 12 minutes on the upper body and 8 on my leggs. The difference is amazing. I have fewer headaches. Seldom do I have a sore neck from 'sleeping wrong' and my range of motion is not much different than it was when I was 25. Today I am 50 and the only time I feel it is when I get lazy and don't stretch out for a couple of days.

I have also read research lately that says stretching out improves the walls of blood vessles, reducing the chances of stroke or heart attack. Best 20 minutes you will spend in your day.