Thread: Delta 1460....is this a decent deal?

Delta 1460....is this a decent deal?

Local guy has a restored Delta 1460 that I'm looking at and he wants $500 including an Easy Wood Ci0 finisher and an outboard tool stand. Two drive centers, one live center and a 6" face plate for the outboard drive. Looks nice but I'm not that familiar with this model. Only down side seems to be the limited number of speeds. What do you think?

3n23m73ob5Z25W35S6b2g2c6fb3af8527178c.jpg

I meant to add that I was about ready to pull the trigger on the 46-460 but wondering if the extra heft and length would be nice to have. Plus the included Ci0 finisher saves $140 making the lathe really about $360. Other than the variable speed on the 46-460, what makes it a better deal?

its new bigger motor

Blog Entries
    IF you are into Vintage Delta and would get a kick out of turning on a Beautiful old American Made Delta then yes well worth it. (try to offer $350.00) CASH Talks remember. lol
    (I own 2 1460's both with alot of the accessories that you could get for them back then.) I only have the stand for one as the second one I bought at the time just for some of the accessories it had with it that I wanted.

That stand alone sells for $150.00-$300.00 on ebay, it all just depends on who wants it during the auction.

IF the outboard stand is THIS one>
    It is the original Delta outboard turning stand and are Hard to find, so they COST $ to get them.

You can find and add the "jackshaft" to the 1460 and slow it way down with 16 speeds. The jackshaft was used for light duty metal work with the optional X Y cross slide. But the slow speeds are also nice for woodturning.

The New Delta Mini has all the modern day features, reverse is Nice to have, but you can turn without it Easily.
    The bed extension is Another $150.00, then add or make a stand or bolt to your bench. it all starts adding up, Quick.

So it all depends on you and what YOU want to turn, are longer spindles important to you?

Is the Vintage Delta a Cool factor for you like it is for me?
    I have 2 and I have the GOLD 3520B to turn on, so for me I like to collect the old Delta art deco machines as I have several others waiting for restorations.

There are Alot of accessories that can be found for the old 1460's and you can replace the bearings.

Vintage COOL, or Modern day they both have about a 12" swing. (You Can turn outboard on the 1460 for larger platters etc.)
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve LaFara View Post
    Plus the included Ci0 finisher saves $140 making the lathe really about $360.
    Steve, this MAY be correct, but only if the Ci tool was on your "going to buy" list. Otherwise, it doesn't make the deal any cheaper.

I think it comes down to what Scott says - are you drawn by the lure of "vintage?" Otherwise, I would do the Delta hands down.

Vintage has its draw but IMHO my money would go to the new Delta.

That certainly looks like a very nice old machine, I am drawn to vintage items like this myself, I cant help it, there is just so much history to them, good luck to you on your final chose.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Steve, this MAY be correct, but only if the Ci tool was on your "going to buy" list. Otherwise, it doesn't make the deal any cheaper.

I think it comes down to what Scott says - are you drawn by the lure of "vintage?" Otherwise, I would do the Delta hands down.
    Yea, I have to admit that I am drawn to the vintage aspect of this like a moth is to a light bulb, and the Ci tool is one of those items on the wish list. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon and appreciate all the feed back.

10. I would go with the new delta midi 46-460, and get a bed extension.................you will be much happier in the long run! More power, variable speed, reversing, and availability of accessories will be much better. Just my humble opinion...............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!