Thread: Your most UNusual-Off the wall turning

Your most UNusual-Off the wall turning

One thing I like to do is read all of the back pages of this forum, I am up to around page 386 and heading toward page 1....I started at the very last page months ago and do this when I have a little free time. It is extremly inspirational to see all of the turnings people have made and great for getting ideas, some of the things that are posted are just incredible..and I hope no one minds if I mention them here, and if I dont mention you please dont take it personal...but things like Curt Fullers Spiders, both of them, Gary Maxs king size bed. What is your most UNusual/off the wall turning and would you post some pictures of it here for everyone to see? Thanks all, Tim

My most unusual was probably what I am calling "Sea Creature" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hing&highlight=

My most unusual turnings....spindles for the wheel on a sailboat

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1176694133

and....here's the final project after Dave got through with it.....scroll down to post #20

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...okes&highlight=
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-19-2011 at 1:06 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

How about this.........

Toilet Plunger Cozy.jpg

The Toilet Plunger Cozy

Hi Guys thanks for posting your projects here, those are very nice! Dennis that sea creature is just very cool! Ken that ships wheel is very nice, I have always been into anything nautical I love it. And Curt that has to be the most unique toliet plunger I have ever seen! Thanks for participating in this thread, I love seeing all of the unique things that everyone has made through the years! Hopefully others will post as well, thanks all, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    The Toilet Plunger Cozy
    Okay - really good looking "cozy," but I have to admit that I am having a hard time with the concept of a toilet plunger and a doily. Hope your wife didn't crochet that one...
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

My favorites

These I quess would be my favorites . The Champange cooler is a segmented inside out turned peice made of several hundred peices of Pink Flame wood. The Beer Cooler is another segmented peice and also inside out turned.

The bowl is made from a termite nest soaked in fiberglass resin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still turn several beds per year, just finished off a full size this morning. Still need to bolt the foot board on.
    The Cannon------heck something I always wanted to turn. It's been sitting in the corner of the show room for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I once had trouble with a lathe which I kept getting big catches. Segmented turnings 003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Okay - really good looking "cozy," but I have to admit that I am having a hard time with the concept of a toilet plunger and a doily. Hope your wife didn't crochet that one...
    Well that's because you aren't enlightened to the toilet plunger cozy concept.........

"I'll explain what it is first. Every household has or should have a toilet plunger around somewhere. But it's usually hidden under the bathroom cabinet or in a closet, somewhere out of sight. Why? Because there just isn't anything very attractive about a toilet plunger. But now that has changed. With a decoratively turned Toilet Plunger Cozy you can proudly display your toilet plunger in full view. In fact you might even want to put it out in the living room. Put a little garland around it and it could even be the centerpiece at the dinner table on Thanksgiving Day. Add a couple of interlocking captured rings and it could even make a wonderful wedding or anniversary gift. Never again will your toilet plunger have to hide in the closet."

This was certainly the largest thing I have turned, and unusual for me:

It stands 42" high overall. Every part of it was on the lathe at some point.

Take care
    Bob