Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vertical lumber storage

vertical lumber storage

Is there any technical reason why lumber is always stored horizontally? to me it seems much more convenient and efficient for a home shop to store lumber vertically (as long as you can keep it off the ground). No need to create a shelving system tied in to the studs. Plus wall space in a garage shop is very valuable, why reserve it for lumber when your stock can fluctuate in quantity. I am setting up a new garage shop and have a small stash of lumber, just contemplating storage options.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

You are exactly right. James Krenov stored all of his lumber vertically. (If its good enough for Krenov...) As long as your lumber lengths are not much longer than your floor to ceiling height, you'll be in good shape. I believe it's because of common lumber lengths being 8 to 12 feet that most people store horizontally.

Much easier to sort, but it takes a whole lot of space.

Over the years I've seen a couple assertions and actual studies that say it's ok to store wood vertically. Sorry I can't remember where, but somebody here will remember.

When I visited the Nakashima place, they stored all their slabs vertically also. Quite a sight...had to wipe my chin.

I store some of my wood vertically, between studs. I put screw-eyes in the studs, and use bungees to hold the wood upright. It works ok for the shorter pieces (my ceiling height in the basement is only 7 foot), and it is nice to be able to sort of flip through the wood like it was a stack of cards.

Ken

I've been a proponent of vertical stacking forever- I built a horizontal rack in my new shop but tore it down after loading three boards! If vertical is good enough for Krenov (mentioned), Sam Maloof, David Marks, Ron Schleining, Woodcraft, etc. etc. etc. it is good enough for me. A board foot of lumber takes up the same amount of space whether it is vertical or horizontal! According to the USDA Forest Service R&D Wood Products Laboratory, as long as it is below 20% MC, it will NOT warp.

Benefits of vertical-

Requires minimal rack structure- no elaborate, heavy-duty, expensive cantilevered rack and sturdy wall are needed. The floor supports 90% of the weight. You do need decent ceiling height- mine goes from 8' in the back to 10' in the center.

If you stack "soldier style" with edges towards the wall, then it is:

• MUCH easier to stack, reach, and unstack individual boards - avoids the issue trying to remove a board from the bottom of a high, horizontal stack.

• MUCH easier to inspect and select- you can easily inspect both sides of individual boards

Picture taken before I added safety chains

Well I'm in a garage and I think the ceiling is about 10.5 foot, nothing I own is longer than 8'. I too like the easy of sorting and taking boards in and out of a stack in a vertical storage solution. I also want to use the "dead space" between the garage door and the adjacent wall. They always put the garage door guide rail about 12-14" away from the wall and you can't really do anything with this space other than hang yard tools. Alan I like your system, I might make something similar for my use.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Sorry about this, guys ..........Alan - what are the fittings + pipe you used for the braces on your overhead TS DC plumbing? I'm about ready to at least add that to "the list" [which usually means collect design info, and do nothing - until that day comes when, for some reason, I finally get fed up and attack].

Back on topic - I'd have vertical lumber storage - at least for bulk, longer, items - but in my shop, the way the cards hit the table, I always seem to find horizontal storage more available - especially under and above the 16'+ clear-span CMS table I built.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Alan, I like that wood storage method you use. I currently store my lumber horizontally but I think I'll convert to vertical storage. I have 10' ceilings so most of my stock will fit.

Just a clarification regarding Krenov. Yes, he stored some of his wood vertically but he also stored it horizontally in stickered stacks. In "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" there are pictures of those horizontal stacks. It was wood that had been air-dried but had not yet acclimated to his shop. Most of his stored stock was 2" and thicker, too.

Now, David Marks has an entire barn full of wood, all of it stored vertically. I was drooling when I saw that episode on Woodworks.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Sorry about this, guys ..........Alan - what are the fittings + pipe you used for the braces on your overhead TS DC plumbing? .
    One end of the 3" flex connects to a reducer and 4" PVC S&D that runs behind the drywall. The other end connects to a 3" wye fitting. The upper end of the wye that connects to the upper straight pipe is blocked. 3" S&D connects to the dust shroud. The diagonal braces were made from two pieces of thin-walled EMT conduit screwed into the ceiling and some sections of (red) tubing made from the hollow broom handle leftover from harvesting the bristles (since replaced with better bristles) for the shroud. I split the overlapping ends of the red tube and used small band clamps to attach it to the EMT so they are adjustable.

Here is another view:

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-20-2011 at 4:58 PM.

I'd go vertical, but the joists in my basement shop are at 6' 10"
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Vertical

In the first two shops that I inhabited the ceilings were 8' to 8'6" and I stored my lumber horizontally. What a pain. As often as not I'd go buy another piece of what I was after rather than dig through the racks.

My new shop has 13' clear to the roof trusses and I welded up a vertical rack for all of my rough lumber. What a difference! No piece of wood is more than 30 seconds from my grasp.

If you can go vertical.

The problem with vertical storage for a lot of us, is that you do absolutely have to give up floor space and usable wall space. If you are working in a two car garage and struggling to find a place to put a larger jointer, getting things on racks overhead can really be the only way to go. Horizontal storage can get lumber into areas that aren't useful for anything else. Granted, getting to that bottom board can be a real PITA, so I do like the idea of having vertical racks for the special stuff. For me the ideal solution is probably a mix of the two.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the tendency of vertically-stored lumber to bow toward the wall IF not supported by a slanted rack of some sort. This tendency especially develops when the longest boards have ever-shorter boards stacked in front of them. I have some rough oak 4x4s that were vertical in the corner of my shop for about 15 years. They could very well be large rocking chair legs now!

For short-term storage, vertical may be fine. For serious storage over time, build in support, or your space-savings may turn into a waste of flat, usable boards.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    [QUOTE=Chip Lindley;1642211]I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the tendency of vertically-stored lumber to bow toward the wall IF not supported by a slanted rack of some sort............QUOTE]

Here are some photos of my slanted rack in my old shop. My new shop has the sam arrangement, but larger. The key is to every so often kick the bottoms of the boards to assure that they all lay flat against the rack and flat against eachother. Vertical is the way to go if you have the ceiling height.

P1010019.JPGP8230009.JPG