Thread: Shaker Table with Bling!

Shaker Table with Bling!

I am usually over on the Turner's Forum, but decided to look in here, today. Very nice projects. I decided to share a piece I made about a year ago. It's one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy. cherry & Curly maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bling??? I'll say! The curly maple REALLY sets it off. Nice job!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Very nice, Michelle, what kind of finish did you use?

Did you dye the top?
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Some real nice curl in that top Michelle. Nice work.

hi Martin: blo, varnish..no dye

Since shakers aren't allowed to have bling, the curly maple would be like a healthy-looking shaker with a good beard or a nice rosey complexion.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hi Brian: Many people believe what you suggested. But they were allowed bling! They loved color & all the nice bright ones went on pieces that went in many rooms & had a reason to have that color in that space.They loved curly & other interesting variations in the wood. What they could not have, was geegaws & doodads, like european furniture at the time the shakers started their villages. The mandate was that their furniture have nothing that was not useful. Each village was different of course, as different people from different areas inhabited each village. European and other influences definetly influenced their woodworking.They even loved new technology, and employed it in their villages. Most people don't know that either. I have studied these folks for over 20+ yrs, and there are many incorrect ideas about their lives. i have found them fascinating. They were so ahead of their time, that they have kept my interest for a quarter of a century.

Thank you Michelle. The part about everything having to be useful puts the ideas together for me. I appreciate your teaching.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    That table is beautiful....... and you would rather be turning. I can't understand it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Hi Von! I made so much furniture that I ran out of space in my house! So i started turning for smaller stuff to make.
    thanks all, for your nice comments

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Hi Von! I made so much furniture that I ran out of space in my house! So i started turning for smaller stuff to make.
    thanks all, for your nice comments
    Michelle,

If you have more pics of your shaker furniture, please post them when you have time.

Thanks for the finishing schedule.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin: Go to my :"started posts.".pg 2 has a shaker sideboard I posted awhile back..there is also a shaker rocker., somewhere in the mix..a couple chairs too...thanks for your interest

Michelle, you can't go wrong with this combination. Almost as perfect a pairing as Oreo's and milk! The figure on the table top is exceptional. Nice job!

Awesome. It looks alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Hi Brian: Many people believe what you suggested. But they were allowed bling! They loved color & all the nice bright ones went on pieces that went in many rooms & had a reason to have that color in that space.They loved curly & other interesting variations in the wood. What they could not have, was geegaws & doodads, like european furniture at the time the shakers started their villages. The mandate was that their furniture have nothing that was not useful. Each village was different of course, as different people from different areas inhabited each village. European and other influences definetly influenced their woodworking.They even loved new technology, and employed it in their villages. Most people don't know that either. I have studied these folks for over 20+ yrs, and there are many incorrect ideas about their lives. i have found them fascinating. They were so ahead of their time, that they have kept my interest for a quarter of a century.
    Michelle, Your work is stunning and you are entirely correct in your starement above. I am, as well, facinated with Shaker furniture and their smaller utility items.
    Very well done.