Thread: Plastic chisel handle removal

Plastic chisel handle removal

I'm planning on regrinding some old chisels for specific jobs like dovetail cleanup. I'd like to put new handles on them also so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the old molded plastic handles.

I'm trying to avoid my usual pattern of doing something the hard way a few times before that "ah-ha" moment where I see it could have been done sooooo much easier.

Or is this one of those jobs that's just a PITA hacksaw and brute force job. I guess I could go out and rent a brute.
    RD

hi
    I would use a hacksaw to split it, then warm the plastic and rip it off the tange
    I can resist anything except temptation. ( Oscar Wilde )

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I'm planning on regrinding some old chisels for specific jobs like dovetail cleanup. I'd like to put new handles on them also so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the old molded plastic handles.

I'm trying to avoid my usual pattern of doing something the hard way a few times before that "ah-ha" moment where I see it could have been done sooooo much easier.

Or is this one of those jobs that's just a PITA hacksaw and brute force job. I guess I could go out and rent a brute.
    I have taken the hanles off of several Stanley #60's. These are translucent. Saw the handle off as close to the steel stub as you can get. Then open a vise just enough to let the blade and shank through but not the remains of the handle. Then use a hammer and punch to drive the chisel out of the reamaining handle. It does not take much force.

Heat gun - slips right off, in my experience.

I took the handles off off some blue handled marple/irwins a couple of years ago. Im pretty sure but the blade in a vise and then cranked on the handle with a pair of vise grips or maybe a pipe wrench. I dont remember if i cut into it beforehand. The handles shattered into pieces, definitely not "unbreakable" haha. I had to clean some junk of the tang- nothing substantial.
    I didn't think to use heat, but that that sounds like a easy enough solution.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

Blog Entries
    There are likely going to be different ways depending on the composition and how the original handles were applied.

My suggestion would be to start with the easiest and least destructive and move up from their.

Heat from a hair drier, heat gun or water bath might be a good start and move up through the sawing and brute force if the heat does nothing.

Good luck and post your results for the rest of us to go through in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe I just had a bad batch or something, but removing the handles from a set of Blue Chip Marples was almost disappointingly easy. I cut the handle with a hacksaw, then split the remnants off with a junker chisel. Total time invested, in each chisel, was about a minute.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Well this was way easier than I thought it would be.

1. Use a hacksaw to cut down to the tang leaving it a little proud of the plastic.
    2. Use a hammer to knock the waste off.
    3. Place the blade in a dog hole.
    4. Hammer the tang to release the plastic's adhesion.
    5. Use a drift pin to drive the tang out of the handle.

It's helpful to have that little bit of the tang for the initial loosening so you don't need to use the drift pin. The ends of two of these tangs are rounded.

Be sure to use eye protection as the plastic may shatter.

Maybe two minutes per if it's a Sunday afternoon.

unhandle1.jpg unhandle2.jpg
    RD