Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detached shop (Add bathroom or not?)

Detached shop (Add bathroom or not?)

We're getting ready to finalize the plans on a detached workshop this spring and I'm really torn with whether or not to put a bathroom in the shop. I've gotten multiple quotes and I'm looking at adding an additional $12,000 just for the rough in. This includes running water from the house and attaching to the existing septic system. I figure it'll easily add $15,000 by the time you figure a water heater, toilet, sink, and shower.

I've got a few questions before making the decision.
    1. Does the price sound appropriate? We'd be looking at running water, sewer, and gas lines approximately 100' to reach the shop.
    2. Has anyone ever heard of a small point of use septic system? My thought is this may be a cheaper and better alternative than tapping into the existing system.
    3. Assuming the $15,000 is the total cost for a functioning bathroom, is having one in a shop worth this amount?
    4. Can a water and gas line occupy the same trench? None of the contractors I've spoken with have been able to answer this question.

This bathroom would also service the pool so we'll be getting double duty out of it plus the gas line for the water heater would allow me to heat the shop with gas versus propane or electric. Please assume the existing septic system can handle the additional bathroom.

I've got tons of other questions but these are the ones holding me back from finalizing the building plans.

Thanks,
    Wes

If money is not the issue I would say install it

But is there 15,000 worth of tools you have your eye on?

Other things to think of are solar heat, radiant heat, wood stove, any of those can be cheaper than conventional heat

my shop is 75'+ from the house even at -5 outside it really is not an issue to walk to the house to take care of 'duties'

now installing cable, bathroom, refrig, and couch the missus may start to miss your presence...

How often do you have to go? I realize that sounds like a silly question, but IF you are just considering the bathroom for it's usual utility for the shop then I definitely think it is not worth the expense. You do, however mention that it would also service the pool, which changes the equation a bit. Since a gas line isn't necessary for a bathroom I wonder are you going to run that anyway? Too many variables to consider for a better opinion.

I have an attached garage but I have to walk outside 5-10' to get into it. That's plenty close enough for me when nature calls. I keep an old laundry detergent container of water in the shop (w/spout) for when I need it, like moistening for Gorilla glue, glue brush cleaning, etc. Otherwise I haven't found the need for water out there.

So my answers would be 1-2-4 not sure, 3 definitely not worth it. But it's your money!!

I've got a similar situation and the same questions. I had the provisions for water, drain and sewer installed in the slab since that avoided future tear out. For now, the facilities in the house will suffice. I have looked at an Incinolet as an option. Where my building is, relative to my existing septic tank, is about 150 feet. That probably means a second septic tank, and a pump to feed the existing tank if I'm going to use the existing leach field. That's only if the sanitarian will let me add another set of fixtures to the system.

Sounds lioke a 'lotta' money to me.

And, tax collectors/assessors like bathrooms in out building as the value of the property and building will increase for tax purposes....

If you ever get a "Bum Knee" like I have and then develop the "Old Men's Malady" as well, you will think that $12,000 was the best money you ever spent when you don't have to make that 100' walk each way. Yes, I installed one in my shop and I dearly love having running water in the shop for a change. YMMV
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-19-2011 at 7:57 PM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I'd say that the answer depends on the size of your prostate.

... and considering prostate starts enlarging as of 40 years young, it might be a cheaper option to at least rough it in at the beginning. $12K sounds a lot though. I wouldn't think an acceptable septic system would be any cheaper depending the difficulty involved to get connected to the system.

My money would be for the gas line since you will need the heat more than the bathroom. It would be handly to have a sink and running water it seems like a lot of cash you could probably invest elsewhere in the shop.

Is the gas and water a package deal? You can compare the cost of the gas alone and go from there.

The cheapest septic system you can get out here that is approved is essentially a 1500-2500 gallon in ground holding tank with a level alarm so that you know when it has to be pumped, they won't allow it on a house but have do give the approval for shops and other occasional use places. For occasional water usage in a shop it should be more then enough and would run around $1500-3k depending on capacity. In terms of hooking up to your existing septic system if your shop is enough higher elevation the hookup is a very simple task, but if they have to put in a lift pump its gonna get expensive

Quote Originally Posted by John Gustafson View Post
    I've got a similar situation and the same questions. I had the provisions for water, drain and sewer installed in the slab since that avoided future tear out. For now, the facilities in the house will suffice. ....
    I did the same thing. Currently the pipes for the water are "hidden" in the wall and the connection is below the surface of the slab.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Sounds lioke a 'lotta' money to me.

And, tax collectors/assessors like bathrooms in out building as the value of the property and building will increase for tax purposes....
    That's exactly why my pips were hidden prior to inspection. Where I live a bathroom in a garage is considered adding an additional living area. The permit and taxes are totally different than those for a shop/garage even though I don't intend for the space to be a bedroom.

Since you're on a septic system too, you may have to increase the size of your current septic system is you install another bathroom. It just depends on local code and the capacity of your current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    If you ever get a "Bum Knee" like I have and then develop the "Old Men's Malady" as well, you will think that $12,000 was the best money you ever spent when you don't have to make that 100' walk each way. Yes, I installed one in my shop and I dearly love having running water in the shop for a change. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'd say that the answer depends on the size of your prostate.
    Very true!

I may never install the toilet because the closest bathroom is within 25 feet of the shop door, but my wife wants me to install the sink. She doesn't want me using the kitchen sink or even the one in her laundry room for cleaning brushes, tools, etc. She might even go as high as your $12,000 to install my sink, but I doubt it will be very much.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have water in my shop installed by the previous owner. He ran a water line and installed a frost free hydrant. Very handy. Due to water table I had to install a sump pump in the put for the hydrant. When I did I added a laundry sink and 2.5gal hot water heater which dumps on the driveway. No different than I'd do without the sink. I'd love to have a bathroom but the space it would take and the cost of a separate septic system are keeping me from doing so.

My shop is 70' from the house; no plumbing. I do keep an empty quart jar on a shelf. Comes in handy now and again. For me, I'd rather have the investment income on the 12K for more tools and other shop expenses than sink 12K in a shop bathroom.

A completely outfitted 3/4 bath would certainly come in handy if you ever find yourself in the DogHouse! A detached shop should be able to double as living quarters if (when) needed.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

That is a very personal issue and is compounded by not being just a shop bathroom.

For me there is no way I would spend that much on a shop bathroom.

Thats a Felder jointer/planer and a Minimax bandsaw!

OR several thousand board feet of wood.